Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Solved: Software to disable the functionality of notebook touchpad?

• Please log in to reply

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Hello ladies and gentlemen, I am so excited to be on this forum. I am making my first post because I've been having a problem with this issue for months and months. (I PM'ed a Moderator, a Mr. CompCav, and he said I could make this post either in the Software or Hardware section)

I can't even begin to write down everything I have done to begin to disable the touchpad on my notebook, but I have tried dozens of suggestions of multiple forums, on the ASUS forums, on YouTube videos.

I have an ASUS G74Sx Notebook, why am I trying to disable my touchpad? My hands are very large and when I type I always touch the pad and move the mouse, and therefore I start typing in the wrong places. I have disabled my touchpad in the BIOS, and yet it still functions, and so on and so forth. This problem began when I last re-installed my W7 HP 64bit. And I have been unable to write in my book, or write any lengthy letters or do any research that I need to do daily.

I currently have no job, and I'm not going to write my medical history out for you, but it's because I have horrendous/horrifying leg and foot pain in both of my legs, so I don't have much money to offer for what I am about to ask.

But I have run out of things to try to disable the touchpad. Is there anybody with any programming experience that can write a small, or at least what I imagine in my mind is a small simple app, app that will disable my touchpad when I double click on it. And re-enable itself when I double click it again.

Here is one of the posts I made on another forum, it describes some of the things I have tried, and it has some of my PC info.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Here is my CPU-Z Validation Report - http://valid.canardpc.com/37v9in

Or if you prefer here is the SysInfo details:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 16361 Mb
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc., G74Sx
Antivirus: Kaspersky Internet Security, Updated and Enabled. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, & Zemana Anti-Logger (http://www.zemana.com)

And just so you know, this is the Asus page where I have downloaded my drivers from http://support.asus....UFmeP8fwFruEdH7

My touchpad on this laptop will not disable when I type, even though I have that option checked in the settings, and it will not disable when I press the shortcut keys (fn + f9), in fact, it doesn't even how the symbol for the touchpad on the screen when I press the combination. The other shortcut combinations work just fine. Just to try it I reinstalled the drivers for the shortcut combinations from the Asus website, but that didn't help.

Also, I re-installed the driver for the touchpad, thinking I could disable the touchpad in the properties window, but again, even though I checked that option, the touchpad did not become disabled. (This is what I mean by disabling the touchpad in properties, I followed these instructions,

So, I re-installed the touchpad drivers one more time, just for fun, haha and this configure button in the mouse properties window now does not do anything when I click it.

Posted Image

Next, I read somewhere that I could disable my touchpad in the BIOS, I found the option in my BIOS, switched it to disable, and saved the changes, my windows booted up, and to my delight the touchpad was not responsive, but there was a new problem, the keyboard became disabled as well.

I have tried updating my BIOS to the versions available on the Asus driver download page, but neither versions that they provide want to work with my system. Using WinFlash, with both versions it gives me some bogus errors and nothing changes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I want to thank you for reading my thread, and trying to understand my problem. I would appreciate any help you could provide me

Edited by BearCavalry, 24 December 2013 - 12:41 AM.

Advertisements

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
I've had the G74SX laptop, very nice machine. Only reason I got rid of it was because I got a sweet deal on a G75VW. Anyways, there should be a key on your function key row that looks kind of like a touchpad mouse, I believe it's f9. Just hold down the fn key on your keyboard and hit that key and that should do it.

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

I've had the G74SX laptop, very nice machine. Only reason I got rid of it was because I got a sweet deal on a G75VW. Anyways, there should be a key on your function key row that looks kind of like a touchpad mouse, I believe it's f9. Just hold down the fn key on your keyboard and hit that key and that should do it.

If you read my OP, you would have seen I already did that.

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts

apologies, it was a lot to read so I skimmed :(

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

apologies, it was a lot to read so I skimmed :(

I apologize my friend. I did not mean to sound mean. :blush:
I am so desperate to fix this touchpad problem that I am just losing patience with myself, I have never had a problem hardware wise that I haven't been able to fix before. :help: :smashcomp:

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Are you sure you have the correct Touchpad driver? I see there is a second one on your download page.

When you reinstalled windows did you install the Intel INF Update Driver (under chipset)? Did you also download the ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities under Utilities

Are there any yellow flagged items in Device Manager (right click on Computer and select Manage, then Device Manager, View, Show Hidden Devices)

In Device Manager: Can you right click on the touchpad driver and disable? (probably under Mice and other pointing devices)

Ron

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Are you sure you have the correct Touchpad driver? I see there is a second one on your download page.

When you reinstalled windows did you install the Intel INF Update Driver (under chipset)? Did you also download the ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities under Utilities

Are there any yellow flagged items in Device Manager (right click on Computer and select Manage, then Device Manager, View, Show Hidden Devices)

In Device Manager: Can you right click on the touchpad driver and disable? (probably under Mice and other pointing devices)

Ron

Dear Ron. Thank you for answering my post!

1. To tell you the truth, I installed every single touchpad driver ASUS has on their overall website not just the one for my model of Laptop, and none of them will give me the functionality of turning it off. But reading numerous ASUS forum answers, all of them say that this model of notebook use the Sentelic touchpad, and that that particular driver model 9.3...something is the one that supposedly works better, so I installed that one over and over again.

2. As far as the Intel INF Update Driver, I installed that too, but when you mentioned it just now. I went ahead, and uninstalled it from my OS, restarted W7, and installed it again.

3. I also installed the ATKACPI driver and hotkey-related utilities too, but I also decided to uninstall them, and re-install them just now as well. Just so I can say I followed your recommendations.

My other hot-key functions suh as fn F10 or fn f11 f12 work just fine.

Here is a screenshot of my device manager window with the only thing that has a yellow symbol next to it.

Posted Image

And I cannot right click it to disable it.

That's why I was hoping someone could write some kind of small kill switch app for me. To beat up the touchpad from the inside and force it to shut it self down.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Go back into Device manager and click on the arrow in front of Mice and other Pointing Devices. What do you see there?

IF you see the touchpad, right click on it and select Properties then Driver then Driver details. What files do you see there?

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Go back into Device manager and click on the arrow in front of Mice and other Pointing Devices. What do you see there?

IF you see the touchpad, right click on it and select Properties then Driver then Driver details. What files do you see there?

I can't believe it!!!! I am speechless now that it happened. I try to explain it in this video I made about the driver details. RKinner, you are Amazing!!!!!!!!! BTW, yes I know how deep my voice is.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
FSP = finger state projection

I think it's part of the ASUS Smart Gesture program which is probably on your uninstall list or it might have been installed by Sentelic.

gesture code is a feature provided by Sentelic FSP, which converts
particular finger movement(single or multiple fingers) into a 8 bit
integer. This supposes to save userland applications some time to
parse/process the gesture through multiple abs. coordinates.

Sounds like you got the touchpad stopped and are now a happy camper. Glad we could help.

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Yes! Thank you RKinner! :thumbsup: