Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I am thinking to upgrade to windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply

Poll: I am thinking to upgrade to windows 8.1

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

What is your idea about windows 8.1?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Geeks King

Geeks King

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Please Answer The poll And Thank You

Advertisements

Meowware

Meowware

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I recommend you to stay on Windows 8. Although Windows 8.1 has some new features, it costs $100 and it kills the good ol' My Computer.

EDIT: Windows 8.1 is free, you should try it, and downgrade if you don't like it.

Edited by Meowware, 23 December 2013 - 04:49 PM.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
I would advise that if you are going to upgrade to windows 8.1, then please use Microsoft's website's for the F.A.Q + the advisory tool. You can go to the direct page by clicking this link:

Windows 8.1 upgrade F.A.Q - Mircosoft's website

But personally, there is very little changes to it and if you have bluetooth on your laptop it might not work after this upgrade. But it's good cause you can customize the windows start menu a little.

Edited by KiwiProbie, 07 January 2014 - 06:26 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
8.1 is called an upgrade but is really a new install. I preserves your data and apps that came with 8.0 but everything else needs to be reinstalled.

I'll wait for 8.2 and see if that's worth upgrading to.

nolacs22

nolacs22

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I read something about 8.1 and a ESD file that makes it unable to have shadow copies of it.Is this true? :huh:

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

8.1 is called an upgrade but is really a new install. I preserves your data and apps that came with 8.0 but everything else needs to be reinstalled.

I'll wait for 8.2 and see if that's worth upgrading to.

Windows 8.2 will be called Windows 9, so the roumers say :thumbsup:

VzAcnY

VzAcnY

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Dn't upgrade to windows 8.1.
The problems me and my had earlier in 8.1

1st:- 80% people have graphics problem. You need to install graphics driver manually or use the windows optional updates.
2nd:- Tile system sucks windows 8 has better tile system.
3rd:- My computer turns into This PC and My Documents into Documents. (dn't get confused with the new names)
4th:- Why the [bleep] my documents folder are in This pc (My computer).
5th:- Kaspersky 2013 doesn't support 8.1, you have to download kaspersky 2014.
6th:- Don't use normal version of windows 8.1 if u dn't have original key of windows 8 because still there is no patch for the normal version whereas pro and enterprise get easily activated by using KMS.
7:- No wifi profile are accessible, you have to use netsh command in cmd to modify and edit wifi profiles.
8:- no right on wifi connection like we had in windows 8 to check data usage, setting and all.