Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

damaged laptop screen (Resolved)

• Please log in to reply

wylli501

wylli501

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
My wife grabbed her laptop by the screen and damaged her dell inspirons lcd screen. Can it be fixed? Or does it require a new pc.

Advertisements

ex_agent

ex_agent

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
it can be fixed, though depending on the shop you take it to it could get costly. I wouldn't expect to see it cost any less than $200

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hope you don`t mind the interjection here folks :)

wylli501

Please provide the exact Dell Inspiron model number so that we can find the correct screen and hopefully a guide to help you replace the screen yourself and so do away with paying any tech or tech store.

Example Inspiron numbers include the Inspiron 14R, Inspiron 15 and Inspiron 1750 etc, hopefully once we have this information we can find you the information that you need, the average replacement Dell screen costs circa $55 - $60 for the 15.6" LCD type.

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Thank you for your response. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15. If it is not to difficult I would like to replace it myself.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I suggest that you remove the damaged screen before ordering any replacement, this will allow you to obtain the information that you need to obtain the correct replacement, please see below;

How to check if your replacement Dell Inspiron screen is CCFL or LED

You can only tell whether you need a CCFL screen or LED screen once you have removed the panel from the Dell laptop. There are no distinguishing features to allow you to detect which version it is until it has been removed. Once removed, you may see two thin coloured wires hanging from the bottom of the Inspiron 15R laptop display panel which will meet in a small white 'plug'. If you have these wires present then you require a CCFL screen. If not, you should order an LED panel.

Alternatively, all laptop screens should have a part number printed on one of the labels on the reverse. You can cross reference this part number with our list of compatible part numbers opposite the relevant replacement laptop screen.

Replacement screen available from here

Replacement guide

You are welcome btw :)

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I have successfully removed the screen from the laptop and have ordered the right new one I hope. Thank you for your guidance. It was a tremendous help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
You are most welcome and any further questions please let us know wylli501 :thumbsup:

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi. I should have let a rpo fix it because the lcd screen came in and I installed it using the instructions from the video but I must have done something wrong because the pc won't turn on. It makes a ticking sound and that's it. It makes a series of 8 ticks pause and the keeps repeating.
It is a Gateway Inspiron maybe I should just invest in a new PC when I can.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Please explain what you mean by it won`t turn on, the notebook is obviously getting power as you are hearing the ticking.

BTW do you mean a Dell Inspiron as opposed to a Gateway Inspiron.

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Yes I did mean a Dell Inspiron. Other than the ticking,DVD drive light flashed and the power light nothing else happens. The screen dosn't light or give any other indication of loading.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Is this with the AC adapter connected to the mains power, this in case the battery has lost all of it`s charge.

Does the HDD activity LED blink at all.

Do you have another display that you can connect the notebook to by way of the VGA port, this to see if the video data cable is not securely connected.

Another thing to check is that the Ram has not become loose but only after you have checked out the above.

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I don't see any activity light blinking and when I hooked up a monitor the monitor screen remains blank. It doesn't even show a "no signal" messsage that I have seen in other pc problems. Not sure what to do next.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I also asked the following;

Is this with the AC adapter connected to the mains power, this in case the battery has lost all of it`s charge

Can you answer this please.

Have you tried removing the battery and using the AC adapter to power the notebook.

If needed an example guide to help you remove and then reseat the Ram securely, see here

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I think I made things worse. It behaves the same with the battery or with the AC adapter and the battery disconnected. I reset the ram and now it turns on with a few ticks and shuts off.

Edited by wylli501, 09 January 2014 - 07:11 PM.

wylli501

wylli501

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I don,t think it is the power source as I have tried with and without the battery. I tried resetting the ram but no luck as a matter of fact now the pc starts it,s ticking and then shuts down. I think maybe I should check the other connections inside.