Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sata to esata cable bracket

• Please log in to reply

Ste

Ste

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hi, When I put my system together a sata to esata cable bracket was included with the mainboard (GA-MA790XT-UD4P). I used this many times to back up my files from a 1tb sata internal drive to a 1tb sata external drive.

For some time now it has been hit and miss whether or not the external drive would be recognized by my system. Recently it has not been recognizing it at all. Considering the process of illumination and the presumption that it may be the connecting components i.e. the external cable and the bracket itself, I have replaced them. Having done this I find there is no change and the external drive is still not recognized.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem is here. My system is running Win8 pro (64bit). I don' know what other information to add at this point. Thanks.:rolleyes:

Steve

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello Steve

As you have replaced the external cable and the bracket (do you mean esata port card btw) it may be the external HDD itself.

Please provide the brand and model name or number of the external HDD for us.

If you are by chance able to connect to the external HDD do the following for us;

Go to Start then to Search
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take an expanded screenshot and attach it to your next reply.

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hi Phill, I have included an image of the actual card I have. (It is the type that gives access to sata drives without the need for a caddy).

I still cannot access the 1tb hard drive on my main system but have since attached it to another 32bit system running WinXP and was able to access it. I have also included a screen grab of the drives as shown on that system though I don’t know if that is relevant.

Of course this has not solved the problem as I really need to back up my files directly to a drive attached to my main system for convenience.

Details of the HDD are: Samsung HD103UJ (1000GB/7200rpm/32M). The power is getting to the drive as a slight vibration can be felt.

Steve.

Attached Thumbnails

• card.jpg
  • grab of disk manager.jpg

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
HI Phill, sorry I thought I should add that I accessed the drive via internal connections on the XP system and the grab is showing this drive as the four 'middle' partitions 'I' to 'J'.

Steve.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello Steve,

Apologies for the delay getting back to you :(

As you are aware the screen shows that the HDD is accessible on the XP machine and as a precautionary measure I would back up all of the data on the drive to avoid any possible headaches later.

You have replaced the device itself and so that leaves the SATA2 port or both SATA2 ports and the power supply from the PSU, have you tried both SATA2 ports and an alternative molex connector from the PSU.

Have you checked the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red Xs, this because your MB was released pre Windows 8 and the Gigabyte homepage is not showing any Windows 8 drivers for your MB, see here were the MBs chipset drivers etc reinstalled after you installed Windows 8.

Ste

Ste

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
Hi Phil, Well I think my system must be moody as I have since been able to access the drive once more.

I did not see any problems showing in Device Manager. I did however download an optional update http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2903938 but from this page I can’t understand if this could have solved the problem.

With the previous usb bracket the system wouldn’t recognize an attached drive unless it was attached before boot up and this was how I had tested the new bracket and at that time the drive didn’t show.

The way I found out that things had changed was when I decided to check whether or not the drive was still being ignored by the system after detaching it from the XP computer. I thought I had turned my main computer off and attached the drive via the new bracket once more. I then returned later to find that the system had not been off due to a program being open and that it had recognized the backup drive.

I have since found that the system also finds it on boot-up which it didn’t do before. I can’t pretend to know what has changed but I am hoping it stays that way.
Not sure if you want to add anything but the problem does appear to be solved for now. Thanks.

Steve.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello Steve,

Thanks for the update, hopefully the issue is somehow resolved but as a precaution I would still back up all the data on the drive and then run the drives diagnostic tool.

Just to reiterate that the data on the drive should be backed up before any test is done on the drive, this because the diagnostic testing tools include stress testing the HDD and this can result in a flaky HDD failing.

I recommend Macrium Reflect free for making an image of the drive, see here

You are welcome btw :)