Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't Hibernate or Hybrid Sleep

• Please log in to reply

BonbonRose

BonbonRose

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hello everyone,

I had many many problems before with my computer. Most of them as I found out was due to lots and lots of bad sectors. Eventually I had to install a new HDD but there's a problem still exists which is.. the computer won't hibernate or hybrid sleep.

After a long while it shuts down by itself - I don't cut the power off or anything like that - but the next time I turn it on I get the "Start windows normally" screen. Same goes for hybrid sleep, but I'm new to that since I recently converted to Win7 recently.

I used to have this problem too when I was using WinXP (last period though, not the whole time) but with a slight deference: the computer used to get stuck on the blue screen and never shuts down. Therefore I'd have to cut off the power myself.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello BonbonRose

To summarise some information from your earlier topics;

The HDD had issues and was replaced - is it a new out of the box replacement HDD.
The DVD drive had issues - has this been replaced.
You have now installed Windows 7 - What type of Windows media was used (disk or from a USB thumb drive etc) and from where was Windows 7 obtained, post a link for us please.
What is the brand and model name or number of the PSU.
Run Speccy and post the url for us, see here

Other things that can cause this type of behavior include overheating, a bad power supply (which can also cause overheating) flaky memory and a MB that has damage to it such as a crack in the soldered circuit which breaks the flow of electricity when the MB gets warm and expands.

Once we have the requested information we will be better informed as to what you should check first.

BonbonRose

BonbonRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Sorry for being so late.. I had Internet connection problems.

Unfortunately, the computer crashed again and I had to take it to maintenance.. I'm very frustrated I don't know what to do anymore. I'll just wait and see how things go and act on it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
No worries BonbonRose we understand that you cannot always put the computer problem first :thumbsup:

Please retrieve the last dump file from c:\windows\minidump and attach it to your next reply.

BonbonRose

BonbonRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Hi,

Sorry again :unsure: the computer was fixed just yesterday.
It's working fine now: it hibernates and hybrid sleeps well. Apparently, the problem was because of the old HDD installed (I kept it as an extra storage space. However, since it looks like dead and is harmful.., it's GONE)

Hope every thing works well from now on.

Thank you for your help I do appreciate it. This might sound strange but I wished we could complete the topic because I love to know and learn new things. Off course I know there are people who need your help more so GOOD LUCK :thumbsup:

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Glad to hear that all is now well and thanks for the follow up BonbonRose :)

Please continue to enjoy visiting the GTG forums, you don`t need to have a computer problem to be welcome here ;)

BonbonRose

BonbonRose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Thank you! I will for sure. :)