Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 running slow [Closed] [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

AlanY

AlanY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
I followed your instructions. The next cbs.txt is: http://en.file-uploa...62/cbs.txt.html

There is an error with the RestoreHealth in command prompt, as in
command prompt cleanup image error.jpg

What could this issue be? Hardware?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It happened again! I shut down my computer after posting the above thread. The shut down process took almost a minute to complete, following an option to "Force log off" due to a program taking too long to respond. The program was "explorer.exe" and its task was playing log off sound. Booting up the computer also took a long time, with a black screen behind a lonely cursor after logging into Windows 7.

Edited by AlanY, 06 January 2014 - 07:32 AM.

Advertisements

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts
Please don't edit your post. Can you boot up now normally or not?
Please attach that Logfile to your next Post: C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log.

• Step 1: Cleanboot

Please follow these instructions here to perform a clean boot. Report back what happens.

• Step 2: Hard Drive Test

• Click on the Start Posted Image button and in the search box, type compmgmt.msc
  • On the left side click on Disk Management
  • On the right side you will see your hard drive.
  • Please take a screenshot from the Window and attach it to your next post

How to make screenshots?

Please follow the instructions here.

AlanY

AlanY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
DISM log file is larger than 2MB. I uploaded it to this link: http://en.file-uploa...4/dism.log.html

I performed Cleanboot. There was an unusual 1-minute black screen prior to Windows 7 Account Login page. The rest of the boot up was normal. Panda Antivirus is turned off. Should I turn my antivirus back on?

Here is a screenshot from the Hard Drive Test.
Disk Mgmt.jpg

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts

I performed Cleanboot. There was an unusual 1-minute black screen prior to Windows 7 Account Login page. The rest of the boot up was normal. Panda Antivirus is turned off. Should I turn my antivirus back on?

Was it slow again? You can turn on Panda Antivirus if you like. We did here a clean boot to see if there is still the slowness. Please report back how the system ran in Clean Boot Mode.

• Step 1: Free Space Warning

I see you have only less than 15% free space on your PC. That is another reason for the slowness of your computer. Because of that I recommend uninstalling software which you don't use at all.

Please uninstall non used software. This could be a reason for the slowness of the computer.

• Step 2: Resetting Clean Boot

• Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.
  • Note If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should type the password or click Continue.
  • On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
  • When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

• Step 3: Windows Repair All-in-one

• Please download Windows Repair from here
  • Right click on the Installer and select Run as Administrator - then install the program
  • Right click on the Windows Repair All-in-one icon and select Run as Administrator
  • You will see a screen like that below:

Posted Image

• Please move to the tab called Step3: Optional. The picture below shows how the screen should look like:
Posted Image
  • Please click on Do It and wait until it is finished.
  • Please move to the tab Step 4 and under Registry Backup please click BackUp - this will do a Registry BackUp of your computer. Please let it also create a System Restore point by clicking on the Create Button under the System Restore Section
  • Then move to the tab Start Repairs - you will see a screen like below:

Posted Image

• Please click on Start - this will open a new screen.
  • Select the following items and tick restart system when finished. (Check the same items like in the picture below)

Posted Image

• Then click Start and the scan/fix will begin
  • The PC will reboot - if not please reboot it manually

• Step 4: Question

How is your PC running? Better?

AlanY

AlanY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Yes. After performing Windows Repair, my computer is faster with Cleanboot. But it becomes slower with Normal Boot. Should I use Cleanboot all the time?

I realize we have many unused software too. I'll talk to my sister and look into this. Would media files affect this slowness?

I also realize the touchpad lost its multi-touch function for scrolling and zooming after Windows Repair. Did any system file got unintentionally deleted?

I'm glad to know my computer is clean of malware!

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts

Should I use Cleanboot all the time?

Nope.

I realize we have many unused software too. I'll talk to my sister and look into this.

Please do so. This could be a good reason for the slowness of the computer. Please report back what you installed and if the PC is faster than before.

Would media files affect this slowness?

You mean music files, pictures? If yes, then I'd say it doesn't affect the slowness.

I also realize the touchpad lost its multi-touch function for scrolling and zooming after Windows Repair. Did any system file got unintentionally deleted?

Please give my model name of the Computer/Laptop. That shouldn't happen. If this is an extra touchpad please give me the model name of the touchpad.

Also, is the Computer faster than before the Malware Removal Process?

Regards,
Machiavelli

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts

Please report back what you installed and if the PC is faster than before.

I mean: Please report back what you have uninstalled and if the PC is faster than before.

AlanY

AlanY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Yes. The computer is faster than before Malware Removal Process. The files are indeed music, pictures and videos.

I have uninstalled the following programs:

- Hamster Free ZIP Archiver
- GoToAssist
- Advanced Audio FX Engine
- Google Sketchup 8
- CyberLink Power2Go
- Nokia Connectivity Cable Driver

There are some programs we don't recognize but unsure of their importance:
- AccelerometerP11
- Adobe Flash Player 11 ActiveX
- Adobe Flash Player 11 Plugin
- Adobe Reader X
- JMicron Flash Media Controller Driver
- LAME v3.99.3 (for Windows)
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Extended
- Microsoft Office Click-to-Run 2010
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Compact Edition
- Mirosoft Visual C++ 2005 ATL Updates and Redistributables (at least 10 of these programs)
- MSXML 4.0 SP2
- Windows Live Essentials

My computer's model is Dell XPS 15 L501X running on Windows 7 64-bit.

My computer still has issue with installing Windows and Java Updates before shut down, as in
Java uninstallable.JPG and
Windows Update uninstallable.jpg

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts

My computer still has issue with installing Windows and Java Updates before shut down, as in

OK, what does it do when you shut down the PC? Does it install the Updates or not?

There are some programs we don't recognize but unsure of their importance:

You will need these programs.

Yes. The computer is faster than before Malware Removal Process. The files are indeed music, pictures and videos.

Much faster? Or just a little bit faster?

I have uninstalled the following programs:

How many free space do you have now?

AlanY

AlanY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Yes. The computer installs updates after shut down, but it reminds me to install the updates again the next time I boot up.

The computer is a little bit faster than before the Process.

It looks like C Drive has less free space than before, as in 56GB to 55GB. Here is a snapshot of Disk Management after the uninstallation:
Disk Mgmt.JPG

Advertisements

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts

Yes. The computer installs updates after shut down, but it reminds me to install the updates again the next time I boot up.

If it doesn't do it at every startup , better say not the 15 th time now, than it is normal. You have probably configured 'Automatic Updates'. ;)

It looks like C Drive has less free space than before, as in 56GB to 55GB. Here is a snapshot of Disk Management after the uninstallation:

I still recommend having more than 15 % free space.

• Step 1: Command Prompt

Warning: this fix is specific to the user in this thread. No one else should follow these instructions as it may cause more harm than good. If you are after assistance, please start a thread of your own.

• Click on the Start Posted Image button and in the search box, type Command Prompt
  • When you see Command Prompt on the list, right-click on it and select Run as administrator
  • When command prompt opens, copy and paste the following commands into it, press enter after each

chkdsk C: /r

• This will take some time. After that please reboot your PC and tell me if the PC is running faster.

AlanY

AlanY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Updates occur almost every shut down and they take a while to complete. Shall we turn off "Automatic Update"?

There was an error after the command prompt code. Should we enter "Y" and proceed?
chkdsk C error.JPG

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts

Shall we turn off "Automatic Update"?

For now not. We will deal with that issue when we fixed the slowness of your computer.

There was an error after the command prompt code. Should we enter "Y" and proceed?

Press 'Y' to proceed.

AlanY

AlanY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
Yes. chkdsk is done and the computer seems faster than after our previous Malware Removal attempt.

However, Windows 7 no longer detect Panda Antivirus.
security.JPG

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts
  • Step 1: Download a tool

Please download the Panda Antivirus Removal tool from here.

• Step 2: Uninstall

• Click on the Start Posted Image button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs then click on Uninstall a program
  • You will now see a list of your installed software, double click on the following one by one to uninstall them:

• Panda Antivirus
  • Once you have done this, reboot your computer

• Step 3: Run the Removal Tool

Right click on the PandaUninstaller.exe file and select Run as Administrator, then follow the onscreen instructions.

• Step 4: Install Panda Antivirus again

Now you can again install Panda Antivirus.

• Step 5: Question

How is the computer running? Still issues?