Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Win 8 Desktop Seup

• Please log in to reply

domer07

domer07

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hello Geeks,

Just got a new Windows 8 desktop and want to set it up for simplicity for family use. First I want to remove the pre-installed Norton AV. Will Windows Defender automatically turn on? Tried to access it, but cannot seem to get to it with the Norton installed. Also, I noticed i cannot unpin apps from the Start screen. I right click on them and the Unpin option comes up on the bottom and immediately goes away. Have also got a fairly new laptop but did not have the Unpin problem. Any other set up suggestions appreciated as I am moving wifen and family from XP Home into the new millenuium!

Along with Windows Defender, should I add an anti-malware (Had Malware Bytes paid version on old desktop)

Thanks,

domer

HP 700-027C Desktop
Intel Core 5-3330S
12 GB Ram, Dual Channel
1 TB HDD

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello domer07

Coincidentally I recently helped another member new to Windows 8 with removing Norton and checking that Windows Defender had auto enabled, please see here

Norton uninstaller

In Windows 8 Defender is basically Microsoft Security Essentials and so if you run the free version of MBAM along side it you will be fine.

To quickly check that Defender is re enabled;

Check for a flag symbol at the right hand corner of the taskbar, right click on it to go into Action Center, expand the Security tab and check the settings there.

I suggest that you leave the unpin problem until you have removed Norton and checked that Defender is enabled.

domer07

domer07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Thanks phillpower2,

Have uninstalled Norton and checked Windows Defender is activated. Trying to setup a printer on the system and none of the drop down menus are allowing me to access them. Making it impossible to change or troubleshoot hardware in Control Panel. They pop down then disappear instantly. Same issue with any right click menu drop down such as unpinning Apps from the Start page.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

domer

domer07

domer07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
It appears my dropdown menu issue was mouse related. Removing the mouse wireless USB receiver allowed the computer to control the mouse and the menus are now accessible.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks for the follow up and for sharing your solution to the drop down menu/s issue domer07 :thumbsup:

Did Defender auto enable without any problem.

You are most welcome btw domer07 :)

domer07

domer07

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Windows Defender did not auto enable however I was able to manually enable the process.

Thanks for the help!

domer

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thanks domer :thumbsup:

I will keep in mind that Defender does not always auto enable, a restart of the computer may be what is most likely required in a lot of cases.