Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Backing up a C-drive

• Please log in to reply

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
Can I copy ALL my C:drive files -- including my XP and WORD2003 files-- to my external harddrive?

As I no longer have my original CDs for XP or WORD I am concerned about the possibility that my C-drive might inadvertently be wiped out during some repair work.

Thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep I use Ghost to make a complete copy of my C drive on to a smaller HD just for something like this and keep it stored away just in case. Once a month I make a new backup to keep the data up to date.

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
Thanks so much.
Is Ghost something I can get on the web?

Can I simply:

• Create a new folder on my E: drive, say E:\postdecember2013backup; and
  • Use Windows Explorer to copy all my Cdrive files to the new E: folder?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What you want to do is make a exact copy of the drive. Ghost is not a free program but you can do a image of the drive which creates a ISO of the drive that can be stored on the external. Something like Acronis True Image would work. Though not free it does have a free trial version that may work.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

A free Suggestion Macrium Reflect free can create a backup image of your system to the external drive on the folder you select.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Sleepydude for the added info. The more options the better I say. :thumbsup:

batpark

batpark

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,064 posts
rShaffer61 and SleepyDude: Thanks. I have downloaded MacrumReflect and will try it soon. .... Batpark