Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible Virus; screen goes to black during boot, but could be sound d

• Please log in to reply

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Probably needs a different audio driver. What is the make and model number of the PC?

Advertisements

SandyStone

SandyStone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Its a Dell Dimension 9150.

It has two small desktop speakers and a sub woofer. They came together as a package when I bought the computer from Dell. I mention this because one of the small speakers has a on/off switch, which when you turn off, the sound does not turn off, but becomes louder. You need to adjust the sound via the task bar. I just leave the speaker dial at its lowest position, before it clicks off to mute sound, without turning it off. I thought maybe the switch in the speaker wore out, but it has a blue light that turns off and on when the dial is turned from off/on, so that can not be the problem.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Can you give me the Service Tag number too? There are three different audio drivers and I can't tell which you need without the service tag.

Also it says the Chipset should have been updated by now. Can you download and save the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility, v.7.2.2.1006, A13 from the Dell support page: http://www.dell.com/.../dimension-9150 Then double click on it.

SandyStone

SandyStone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
The service tag number is 5R91X81

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
The service tag still gives me three options. You originally had a sigmatel driver so I assume you need this one:

SIGMATEL STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio, v.5.10.0.4823, A05

It's a bit newer than the one on your PC so it might help.

There is also an option on the Dell Driver support page to Analyze System Fro Updates. You might try that.

SandyStone

SandyStone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I updated and things are still the same. I have read that this is a problem with some dells. Others have contacted Dell support and even they can not even find a solution. I am considering up grading the sound card and the graphics card.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Is the sound card already a separate card? Does it have any numbers on it? Don't suppose it says sigmatel on it does?

SandyStone

SandyStone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Actually, it's not a separate card by looks of it.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
I would feel better about the Dell site if the picture matched what you have but it shows a laptop. There is a newer version of the audio driver from 2008 on the Dell site:

http://www.dell.com/...sd&docid=275393

You might try it.

SandyStone

SandyStone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
I tried and it will not install. "object not present. Restart the system and run setup again." I restarted, but no results.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Have you tried one of the other audio drivers on the Dell site? Wonder if they will also refuse to install

SandyStone

SandyStone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Does it matter where the driver is saved? I saved it in C:\Program Files\Dell Drivers.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
Doesn't matter where you store them but usually there is a setup.exe file you need to run.

SandyStone

SandyStone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
Yes, I have tried at other times to improve the sound situation with other drivers.

I have a new problem that has arisen, the infamous blue screen appears, which reads: kernel stack inpage error. This has occurred 4 times. It might be the memory I installed. It was recommended by Kingston and matched the specs provided in the Dell manual. I have to double-check power compatibility.
Also, it seems to gone gone away, but my external WD 3TB hard drive was giving me error message. The other older WD 1TB external drive gives me no issues. Just mentioning this in case they are related.