Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Realtek Ethernet Controller Media Test Fail - No Bootable Device?

• Please log in to reply

Kevin95

Kevin95

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Had some family problems, my dad smashed my laptop with his fist (between the number pad and the enter button) then it froze. After turning it on and off, I get the message as shown in the title. Is the problem caused by the ethernet controller or a broken HDD and how do I fix it? Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,087 posts
Hi Kevin95,

It's hard to tell what damage may have occurred, right now it's telling you the hard drive has failed and that's a good possibility. There also could be motherboard damage as well. Just a host of issues..

I think your best option is to, work out the family problems first, then take the computer in for repair and at least get an estimate or evaluation.

Thanks
Joe :)

Edited by zep516, 26 December 2013 - 04:54 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello Kevin95

To add to what Joe has advised you could check whether or not the HDD is detected in the BIOS, so that we can check how you access the BIOS on your computer, what is the brand and model name or number of the notebook.

Is there any visible damage to the keyboard or chassis etc.

Kevin95

Kevin95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
@phillpower2 I have a toshiba laptop and f2 is the button used to acess the bios on my laptop. Also, it doesnt look like theres any damage on the outside of my laptop. The damages could be internal.

Kevin95

Kevin95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
And I can still see the HDD on the bios menu

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

And I can still see the HDD on the bios menu

Is the HDD listed as something like ST320LT020 - 9YG142 for a Seagate HDD or WD2500LPVT for a Western Digital.

Can you tell us what the boot sequence is showing in the BIOS.

Tip
If you have something to add while waiting for a reply use the edit tab – bottom right of the dialogue input box and this will ensure that no information that you provide is overlooked (this can happen if your topic has more than one page) thank you for understanding.

Kevin95

Kevin95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I don't know what type of HDD I have but I set the boot sequence on default settings. (HDD#1/SSD #1, eSATA HDD, CD/DVD, FDD, LAN then USB)

Edited by Kevin95, 28 December 2013 - 05:15 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Is the HDD listed as something like ST320LT020 - 9YG142 for a Seagate HDD or WD2500LPVT for a Western Digital.

The reason why I asked the above question was because if the HDD is detected it will normally be identified by a reference number beginning with either ST or WD the two most commonly used brand of drives, if you do not have anything listed that is the same or similar the HDD could be bad.

Have you tried starting in safe mode by continually pressing the F8 key when you restart the notebook.
Have you made sure that there is no reference to the Realtek Ethernet controller or PXIE device in the boot order.

Signing off now so I have asked a colleague to check in on the topic.

Kevin95

Kevin95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
I've attempted to boot into safe mode before but I'm on windows 8 so it's kinda tricky. Only been able to do so once before the problem occurred.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
While Phillpower2 is in the land of Nod, I will give some help.

Window 8 is supposed to boot into recovery mode if it fails succession to boot. So first, start the laptop, when it fails to boot, restart, (if it fails, restart again for good luck)
This is what should happen, > http://www.techrepub...-feature-works/ You need to choose only Automatic Repair.
You can also try, holding down the shift key when staring and very rapidly tapping F8.

Edit.
What is the Model of your laptop?
Did it come with any kind of recovery disc? If No.
Do you have access to another machine running Windows? it must be the same bit ver as the laptop, 32 bit or 64 bit, If yes,
Please read,
> http://www.techrepub...windows-8/7261/

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks iammykyl :thumbsup:

Kevin95
We understand that computer problems can be stressful but please answer all questions asked and tell us anything that you have already tried yourself, this will avoid any repetition of suggestions and hopefully conclude your topic more quickly for you.

I also asked in my reply #8

Have you made sure that there is no reference to the Realtek Ethernet controller or PXIE device in the boot order.

What is the answer to the above please.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Posted ImagePhillpower2, Posted Image

Kevin95

Kevin95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Looks like I can't boot into safe mode. Is it possible to try installing Linux via a usb on a non bootable computer? I don't have any blank discs left

Edited by Kevin95, 29 December 2013 - 07:54 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
To be able to help you, we need the information that has been asked for.
Reply #3 what is the brand and model name or number of the notebook?

#6. Is the HDD listed as something like ST320LT020 - 9YG142 for a Seagate HDD or WD2500LPVT for a Western Digital?
if you do not have anything listed that is the same or similar the HDD could be bad.

#10. Did you try restart/restart and the Shift + F8 methods to get into recovery?
Did the laptop come with any kind of recovery disc?
Do you have access to another machine running Windows? it must be the same bit ver as the laptop, 32 bit or 64 bit,

#11. Have you made sure that there is no reference to the Realtek Ethernet controller or PXIE device in the boot order.

Looks like I can't boot into safe mode. Is it possible to try installing Linux via a usb on a non bootable computer? I don't have any blank discs left

Yes, but other options can be used first, i.e. creating recovery media on USB so we can get into your existing OS and a bootable diagnostic tool to look at your HDD.

Kevin95

Kevin95

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
How do I create a recovery media? I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop.

And say my HDD is damaged. Is it possible to retreive all my important files and transfer it to an external hard drive?

Edited by Kevin95, 29 December 2013 - 11:23 PM.