Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading to Saphire Radeon R9 290x Tri-X

• Please log in to reply

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Joe) Still FPS Drops?

The benchmark seemed to be very similar to the first one, I will test on AC4 and BF4 for drops now.

Advertisements

Machiavelli

Machiavelli

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,722 posts
Try to turn VSYNC on and report back if it helps.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
JoeBenyon

From the notification bar, please click on and disable/disconnect network connection.
Run valley bench and then reconnect post the result.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Is SLI mode still enabled? What effect would it have on performance.?

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Try to turn VSYNC on and report back if it helps.

VSYNC didn't seem to help, got the same FPS, 25-55 on GeForce Experiences' 'Optimal Settings for my System'. Whenever it dropped below 40 it was noticeable.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

JoeBenyon

From the notification bar, please click on and disable/disconnect network connection.
Run valley bench and then reconnect post the result.

The Windows Notification bar? I am using a LAN connection, should I unplug the Ethernet cable?

Is SLI mode still enabled?

Yes it seems to be.

Edited by JoeBenyon, 19 January 2014 - 07:53 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Please disable SLI, then do a benchmark, upload image. > http://www.computerh...es/ch001167.htm

Then.

The Windows Notification bar? I am using a LAN connection, should I unplug the Ethernet cable?

No, leave connected, disabled from the taskbar, (used wrong term before) see image. There may be no difference in gaming, just want to check. Perform Valley Bench, post result.
In difference in BF4?

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Please disable SLI, then do a benchmark, upload image. > http://www.computerh...es/ch001167.htm

There is no option to disable/enable SLI in the control panel.

part11.jpg

Then.

No, leave connected, disabled from the taskbar, (used wrong term before) see image. There may be no difference in gaming, just want to check. Perform Valley Bench, post result.

Here you go:

part12.jpg

chessgame

chessgame

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello.

Joebenyon do you have a sound card or anything plugged into to any of your other expansion slots.

If you have could you try removing it from your system.

And then run the benchmark test with it out thanks.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Hello.

Joebenyon do you have a sound card or anything plugged into to any of your other expansion slots.

If you have could you try removing it from your system.

And then run the benchmark test with it out thanks.

No I don't, only my GPU.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
I have been concerned that something was wrong with CPU usage and was bottlenecking the GPU. Been looking at it a bit skewed, why cores not at 100%?.
I believe I have this right??? AMD CPU. Threads are run on the first real core, gets busy, usually misses the #2 core, virtual, threads passed and run on #3 core, real, and so on.
Cores unparked, disconnected from the Internet. Benchmark results P#68. If you add up the % from cores showing, = 166.2/6 (number of cores used) = 27.7% *total % CPU usage). I would say the CPU is not the bottleneck as we have low usage. Some variations may creep in because a background process is kicking in.
Now looking at this SLI enabled with only one GPU installed.

Please do another benchmark, Internet disconnected, Extreme HD presets. see what GPU and CPU usage we get.

Edit.
In which slot is the video card installed?

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Edit.
In which slot is the video card installed?

It is installed in the same slot that I took my old one out of. The PCI-E (top slot)
I will try the Extreme HD preset now.

Edit

Here it is:

valley_2014_01_22_15_56_49_562.jpg

Edited by JoeBenyon, 22 January 2014 - 10:07 AM.

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Should I try buying some faster RAM? If so which should I buy? (I have £90) Preferably 8GB or more.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
If you already have 8GB of 1600MHz you will see no benefit in going more or higher.
Valley Bench looks better but min fps still low. Fixes that have worked for some people. see if any make better game play and Valley Bench.
Turn of Vsync, not sure if in game or in BIOS.
Check your bios to make sure pci-e is set to Gen 3 (pci-e 3.0).then checked gpu-z to see if you pci-e bus is running at 16x and at Pcie-?/? when Under load it should say pci-e 3.0 @ pci-e 16x 3.0
From the MB manufacturer website, update all drivers/utilities/bios.

Still not solved the SLI question, yet.

Just some scores, > http://www.overclock...y-benchmark-1-0

JoeBenyon

JoeBenyon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Gday.
If you already have 8GB of 1600MHz you will see no benefit in going more or higher.

I don't have 1600MHz at the moment I only have 8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)