Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit will not shut down properly

• Please log in to reply

hellooomcfly

hellooomcfly

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
My father-in-law has been having some reported issues with Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit not shutting down properly for a little while now. He is claiming that when the computer is shut down at the end of the night, when he boots up his computer in the morning, his computer will ask to boot as normal, or run windows repair. He has tried running windows repair multiple times with no success at all. However, his computer will boot up afterward as nothing ever happened. Furthermore, I noticed an awful lot of pop-ups when attempting to access this website to post this topic, even while running Kaspersky and Adblock Plus. His browser of choice is IE11, even though I personally use Chrome on this desktop. Any help on this topic is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

hellooomcfly

hellooomcfly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Update: I believe I have finally gotten down to what I believe was the culprit. Long story short, the computer was going into sleep mode and not responding to keystrokes or the simple wiggle of a mouse. So, my father in law would turn everything off via KVM master switch and turn it back on again, simulating the same actions of just holding in a power button or unplugging a computer. Hence my belief as to why he was experiencing improper shutdowns (he forgot this slightly major detail when we had our first conversation.) Anyway, fingers crossed, I think all is well once again. Thank you all for helping me think my way through this.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Glad you got it sorted and thanks for sharing the solution hellooomcfly :thumbsup: