Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Problem

• Please log in to reply

KPapa

KPapa

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi,
First of all this is my pc

CPU:Intel Core i5 2500 3.3(3.7 turbo)
GPU:Nvidia Geforce GTX 560
MOBO:ASUS P8H67-M PRO
RAM:KINGSTON KVR1333D3N9K2 8GB
PSU:Its a corsair dont remember exactly model but it was more than enough for the system.
HDD:WDC WD5000AAKX-001CA0

If there is a way to find them out if you need them tell me.

Now the problem is that i get random freezes and most times i need restart from the power button,sometimes it freezes then i get a message saying sth about gpu has crashed but retrieved and in games which i played in the past just fine i get low fps and lag spikes.What could the problem be,I think of gpu but it doesn't seem normal to me cause i havent changed anything in the use of my pc from when i bought it.The only thing that comes to my mind is the hdd cause its the only thing i didnt change and its old.So i ask for your opinion to be sure.

Thanks in advance,If you need more information please let me know.

Edited by KPapa, 27 December 2013 - 02:39 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: KPapa

Possible causes may include overheating, bad power supply and as you have mentioned HDD issues, the HDD can cause problems if it gets hot, is low on free storage space and by nothing more than showing it`s age, please do the following for us;

Go to Start then to Run/Search

Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On the left side click on Disk Management
On the right side you will see your hard drive.
Now I need you to take an expanded screenshot and attach it to your next reply along with the Speedfan screenshot;

Download Speedfan and install it.
Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;
Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

Depending on the results we may need to run further software for comparison http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Screenshot instructions are provided to assist those that may read this topic but are not yet aware of the “how to”.

I will be going offline for a few hours shortly but will be back at around 4.30pm UK time, sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause, another colleague/member may drop in on the topic to assist meanwhile.

KPapa

KPapa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Here are the photos you asked.The temp of cpu i think is not correct cause its jumping from 50 to 90 and it was always like that i remember checking it back when i took it cause i thought it was overheating but the tech showed me from bios that its ok,but if you think i should check it let me know.

FYI i just updated my gpu to latest driver didnt seem to change anything.

Attached Thumbnails

• Disk Management.jpg
  • HWMonitor.jpg
  • speedfan.jpg

Edited by KPapa, 27 December 2013 - 08:20 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Apologies for the delay KPapa

HDD looks ok :thumbsup:

Has the computer ever been overclocked or any attempt been made to OC any hardware.

The Speedfan and HWMonitor information regarding the temps and voltages are inconclusive so we need to check further, please run Speccy and post the url for us, see here

Your CPUs safe thermal footprint is a Maximum 72.6°C and so if a temperature that exceeds this is detected the computer will shut down to protect it, BIOS readings are not particularly helpful here because the computer is not under any load when you are only in the BIOS.

Your video card requires a minimum 450W PSU and two 6 pin Supplementary Power Connectors, please check what the model name or number of the Corsair PSU is.

KPapa

KPapa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I think my brother tried once to OC gpu but he restored it to factory settings the next day.

Speccy

The computer as far as i remember never shut down on its own.I have this CPU Cooler

About PSU the corsair i remembered was the previous one.The one i have now is Silverstone SST-ST75F-P 750 watt and it has the two 6 pin you mentioned.Sorry for that.

Could the temp from speedfan and hwmonitor caused by the pc case?Cause i havent changed its case and i had to remove 2 fans so gpu and cpu cooler could fit.

Edited by KPapa, 28 December 2013 - 05:38 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

I think my brother tried once to OC gpu but he restored it to factory settings the next day.

In case of a bad MB setting try restoring the MBs default settings in the BIOS, they may also be listed as "most stable settings" do not be tempted to use the "optimized settings"

Speccy is not showing all of the voltage readings either, can you do some gaming or watch a video, restart the computer, access the BIOS and check what the temps and voltages are, see the example screenshot and table below.

NB: BIOS voltage readings.
The readings are not conclusive in the BIOS as the computer is under the least amount of load, if they are higher or lower than what they should be though it does suggest a PSU problem.

You have a more than adequate PSU but the CPU cooler could be better and in particular because you have removed the two chassis fans, this means that hot air is being circulated around inside of the case and not being expelled as it needs to be.

You have updated your GPU drivers but can I ask you to try using the computer as you would normally but in Safe Mode, this to see if it locks up.

We will wait on an update before suggesting anything further.

KPapa

KPapa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
After playing a game for 30 mins those are the temp and voltages.Couldn't get screenshot dont know how to in bios(i know only Press button prtscn and then paste on painting).Oh and bios wasnt like yours it was like that

I wrote them down instead.
CPU 34C Voltages:CPU=1.104-1.112(wasn't stable was either the first or the second)
MB 29C 3.3v=3.344 5v=4.960 12v=12288

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Have you restored the MBs default factory settings in the BIOS as asked.

I also suggested the following;

You have updated your GPU drivers but can I ask you to try using the computer as you would normally but in Safe Mode, this to see if it locks up.

Have you done this and if so what was the result please.

No screenshot was required as the information was for you to check and be happy with, the screenshots that I provided were as I said only examples :thumbsup:

When idle your CPUs voltage should be stable at between 0.95 and 1.0V and that is why I suggested restoring the MBs default settings, more power to the CPU creates more heat.

The voltages look fine but as I have said the BIOS readings cannot be relied on as the computer is not under load.

KPapa

KPapa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Oh yeah i forgot to mention that i changed the MB on default factory settings.In safe mode i dont have any problem.
It didnt freeze so far but i still get lag spikes in game.

Edited by KPapa, 28 December 2013 - 09:43 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Was that when gaming in safe mode.

To see if we can identify any driver conflicts please refer to the copy/paste details below provided courtesy of jcgriff2 :thumbsup:

1. Create a Windows System Restore Point -
Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"

2. Run the Driver Verifier -
Go to START | type verifier | make these selections -

1. Select 2nd option - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
2. Select 2nd option - "Select individual settings from a full list"
3. Check these boxes -▪ Special Pool
▪ Pool Tracking
▪ Force IRQL checking
▪ Deadlock Detection
▪ Security Checks (new as of Windows 7)
▪ Concurrency Stress Test (new as of Windows 8)
▪ DDI compliance checking (new as of Windows 8)
▪ Miscellaneous Checks4. Select last option - "Select driver names from a list"
5. Click on the Provider heading - sorts list by Provider
6. Check ALL boxes where "Microsoft" IS NOT the Provider
7. Click on Finish
8. Re-boot*** IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ:

- If the Driver Verifier (DV) finds a violation, it will result in a BSOD

- After re-start, you may not be able to log on to normal Windows
... • Boot into SAFEMODE - tap the F8 key repeatedly during boot-up
... • Select "System Restore"
... • Choose the restore point that you created in step #1

- For Driver Verifier status
--- select last option, 1st screen -or-
--- type verifier /query (in a cmd/DOS screen)
- To turn Driver Verifier off - verifier /reset then re-boot

- The Driver Verifier needs to run as long as possible - even if the status screen appears clear.
- All future BSOD dumps must be VERIFIER_ENABLED_MINIDUMPs - otherwise the dump(s) are of no use

If your system does BSOD while the Driver Verifier is running, please retrieve the dump file from c:\windows\minidump and attach it to your next reply.

Advertisements

KPapa

KPapa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I did what you said and when i reboot it i got a bsod then restarted on its own and then i went safemode to do system restore.I searched about the dump file you mentioned but minidump doesnt exist.

Edited by KPapa, 28 December 2013 - 10:09 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Can you please answer every question that I ask so as to avoid repetition, from my reply #10

Was that when gaming in safe mode.

What is the answer please.

Check that crash dumps are enabled for us;

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel (Start>Control Panel in Vista/7).
2. Double-click System.
3. Click (Advanced system settings link in Vista/7 then --->)the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
4. Make sure, there is a checkmark in Write an event to the system log.
5. In the Write debugging information list, click Small memory dump (64k).

When done run Driver Verifier again.

KPapa

KPapa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Sorry for that.No it wasn't in gaming cause i thought you can't play games in safe mode.

I can't upload the minidump cause its says "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file".

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You can game or watch video in safe mode, you use the windows generic drivers as opposed to third party ones that's all.

Please upload the minidumps to mediafire and post the url with your next reply, see here

How to use mediafire

KPapa

KPapa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Dumpfile