Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow PC getting slower by the day

• Please log in to reply

arctic jop

arctic jop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi RKinner

It does seem to be better - It was particularly slow at opening programs, saving files and playing videos - all definitely faster now and I can turn on my firewall which I couldn't do before! But this is what happened when I tried to clean it up before - it improved for a short while and then reverted, I'm worried this will happen again.

The updates still won't install - there are 68 and the updater just fails.

I'll get speedyfox...

Thanks so much for your help!

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Let's work on the updates then.

Try the Fixit that pops up here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949358

(Best to visit the site with Internet Explorer)

Sometimes the Readiness Tool will help:

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=20858

arctic jop

arctic jop

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi RKinner

It's starting to slow up a bit - noticeable when I'm opening programs, saving or copying files, getting a right-click menu up etc, and I have to click on things 3x before it responds. But it's still better than it was!

I've tried the fixit and the readiness tool, and a registry clean up, and manual installation of those updates but they won't install. I get error messages with codes that don't seem to show up in the windows help. I tried the manual installation process from the MS website, it seemed to get stuck on an update called 2670838 which is a whole platform update - I googled it and other people seem to have had issues with it, do you know anything about this or should I go through the MS assistance web page?

Thanks so much for your help - apologies if I can't always get to the computer quickly - I have two kids under two, I'm not allowed to sit down much!

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Run Process Explorer and create a log next time it's a bit slow. Also run VEW and post the logs.

The update 2670838 requires the latest video driver or so I hear. IF it is causing problems then I would hide it and not let it install. (Run Windows Update and then right click on 2670838 and Hide Update. )