Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help finding correct way to get video from laptop to tv

• Please log in to reply

kcolaras

kcolaras

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi there,
I have two tv's, one hooked up to a ps3 and the other hooked up to a Roku. I have a laptop which I stream videos and media through Plex software to both devices. I have limited basic cable in my apartment but also have a full cable package at another location with a provider that also has an online website where you can watch pretty much all of the tv you could if you were at the location with full cable, but online. The issue I have been trying to solve is how to watch the online video, but stream it onto my tv so I dont have to watch it on my laptop. Yes, I could always just run an HDMI cord directly from my laptop to the tv, but as far as I know (im not a computer genius so maybe theres a way I dont know about) I would then not be able to do anything else with my laptop while I am watching the videos on my tv, and there would be a another cord stretching around or across the room. I also tried the Chromecast which I thought would answer all of my wishes BUT there was major lag and the sound did not match the video what so ever. Also, the ps3's internet browser does not support the current enough version of flash to play the videos and the software does not exist. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Advertisements

AdvHomeServer

AdvHomeServer

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
If you just want to play videos, then Serviio will work with any DLNA player. Serviio will run in the background and stream to the TV. The downside it doesn't work with pay services, only locally and remotely stored recorded content and free entertainment streamed directly off the internet.

If you want to stream from a pay service such as Netflix, then you need a dedicated streamer.

kcolaras

kcolaras

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
So, does the service run like Plex? where the videos have to be actually on my computer, or can I play any video off of the internet with out downloading it such as youtube? Thanks for your response!

edit---i think I figured it out, if it works it will play videos from the internet...thanks again!

Edited by kcolaras, 24 January 2014 - 08:16 AM.

ruggie_uk

ruggie_uk

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,083 posts
Yes, I could always just run an HDMI cord directly from my laptop to the tv, but as far as I know (im not a computer genius so maybe theres a way I dont know about) I would then not be able to do anything else with my laptop

This won't solve the other issues, but you can set your laptop to extend display to the external device(TV) then have your movie on the second screen only.

This would free the main laptop screen for normal usage.

Depending on which laptop you have, there is a button, normally something like press fn and F4 or F5 to enable the external display. It is normally identified with a picture of two monitors.