Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

troubled pc with multiple spinstall.exe in c:

• Please log in to reply

xolo

xolo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,

My grams cumputer (hp notebook with windows 7) has been running painfully slowly lately and there has been a few bluesceens. It takes ages to do simple tasks that barely uses any resource and programs that normally launch fast takes minutes or, if games, might not start at all. Browsing, whether the internet or windows expolorer, is more often than not ridiculously slow too. It's not constantly like this though, at times things run more smoothly regardless of cpu/memory usage. No idea why. Most of the time however this machine would make you tear your hair out.

Background:
I downloaded spybot, superantispyware, avast and malwarebytes. Superantispyware removed ~400 adwares/cookies and Avast found 2 "viruses"/riskware that were successfully removed after run on startup. Next time I logged on I got the following error: "this is not a valid copy of windows" and the desktop background had changed back to hp default. I restarted the computer and desktop went back to normal but the error message was still there. After a 3rd restart I got rid of the error and haven't seen it since. I uninstalled avast and installed bitdefender instead. I regularly empty the temp files and there is plenty of free space on the harddrive. Drivers etc shoud be updated. Now no malware is detected by any of these programs. None of this has changed the performance of the computer, at least not to the better.

Questions:
- When I searched through the C: I found a lot of crapfolders and I also found that, besides the one in windows\system32, there are at least 18 other folders in C: that each contain a spinstall.exe file. The original in system32 is from 2009 and the others have different dates, but they are all newer. Are they some kind of updates or should I be suspicious?

- Today I noticed rtvosd.exe in task manager. Usually this process is described as realtek and I'm able to end it, but i've never seen it like this before and I can't end it, neither open the containing folder. There is no description, no searchway or any info whatsoever. How do I know it's the real one and not a virus?

- At one point cpu usage was 100% but no programs were running and none of the very few processes in task manager used any cpu at all. How can I find out what hidden process was causing this?

- If the slowliness is not attributable to a virus or some sort of spyware, what could be causing it? Corrupted/fragmented files?

- Is wise pc doctor a serious program or do you recommend something else for fixing eventually corrupted files?

Sorry about my ignorance, I know nothing about these stuff and I have absoutely no idea how to fix this other than doing a clean install which i'd rather not, especially since it's not my computer!

Attached Thumbnails

• rt.png
  • spinstall.png

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: xolo

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).