Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems logging on to my profile

• Please log in to reply

Laila

Laila

• Pip
  • 7 posts
My computer was running and ran out of battery power so it shut down. I loaded it back up after plugging it in to its charger and attempted to log back on to my profile and got this message:

User Environment:
Windows cannot load the local profile and is logging you on with a temporary profile. Changes you make to this profile will be lost when you log off.

So I attempted to restart my computer and load it on the "last known good configuration"....that didn't work.

So then I tried to use system restore, however I guess I had turned it off at some point because I'm a [bleep], and there were no restore points I could use. So that didn't work.

So then I tried to copy the profile and got this error message:

Failed to set security on the destination profile. Error - Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Obviously that didn't work.

So I'm running out of ideas of what to do, and I really would like to be able to log onto my profile and have all the things settings and files I've made be there. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Is this how you copied it

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;811151

Laila

Laila

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No it's not...but I'm assuming that's the way it should be done? Or that I should at least give that a try?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hopefully you can set the new profile and rename it or once you have removed the existing one, you can copy the new profile to another new profile with user details you want

Edited by Keith, 08 June 2005 - 09:41 PM.

Laila

Laila

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok, so basically I don't have enough disk space to copy all the files...is there any to do this where I don't have to delete a bunch of things?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can use a CD or DVD writer drive to copy the files to RW media so you can use them for something else after you load them back on, though it does depend on getting access to the files in your profile.

It could be better to remove any large programmes you have the installation CD's for

mohsin

mohsin

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
well keith is write in many aspects .. try using other hard disk