Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

HDD/BIOS Problem

• Please log in to reply

Cortezz

Cortezz

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, wondering if anyone can help with this, would be really appreciated :)

I started up my laptop a couple of months ago and got the following message;

Check cable connection!
PXE-MOF : Exiting Intel PXE ROM
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

This looks as if its not seeing the HDD to boot from. However, I restart and press F2 to enter the bios. Everything looks fine and the HDD model can be seen, so I just exit.

On exiting the BIOS the laptop boots normally into my OS. (which was windows 7 then)

So... for a while now i've been just entering the BIOS every time i turn on the computer and then exiting it to allow me to get into my OS.

I've since got angry at windows 7 and now run Ubuntu 12.04 instead. (love Linux now!)

The laptop is an Acer Aspire One 722 Netbook. It works great for taking away to work with me when i'm away from my proper computer, but this BIOS problem is really annoying me now and I want it to just boot to OS without having to enter the BIOS each time.

Anyone have any ideas? Do you think swapping the HDD would solve it or is there something else i've missed?

Any and all help will be appreciated, thanks.

Cortezz

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Check to see what devices are set to boot from. I believe PXE is a network boot, so it looks like it might not be set to boot from the disk.

Cortezz

Cortezz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah the boot priority order has the HDD at the top. Also tried disabling network boot and it still does the same but leaves the PXE out if the error message.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
You might be having a problem with your hard drive. It might be that it is taking some time for the hard drive to become ready, which is why it works later.

Cortezz

Cortezz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah it must be something like that. The HDD can't be dead because it does actually work eventually, i've ordered a new hard drive to see if that will fix it. Well an SSD actually so should be much quicker booting too! Will post results :)

Cortezz

Cortezz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Solved!

Installed an SSD and its all sorted. Must have been a dodgy HDD.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Thanks for letting us know and glad to hear that the problem is solved!!