Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU and GPU running hot!

• Please log in to reply

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Sorry rhymin, seeing your other thread, looks like i am bit late. I would have gone the B59.

Advertisements

Zach Harner

Zach Harner

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I came across this thread when searching google to find out why my cpu is sitting between 48&50 degress at idle, and to see why my gpu wants to sit around 80 at idle.

I have a 6 core AMD 1100t, and an ATI radeon 6970 HD.

Back story,

My computer has been shutting down when I run games like bf4 and ESO. It started about 2 months ago.

I told a buddy, and he suggested that I reapply the thermal paste, so I did. I bought Arctic Silver 5, took the heatsink off, cleaned it just as the instructions described, and put it back on. The temps dropped a huge amount for the CPU. It was getting as low as 33 degrees.

So, I assumed I could game again, but was wrong. The pc shut down on me. (shut down as in just off, no blue screen of death or anything).

So my friend suggested I take apart my GPU and apply the paste there as well. So I did. I also cleaned out the card and the pc (again). I turned the pc back on, and now, the CPU temps are back up around 50, and won't go any lower than 48, and my GPU was sitting at 80 while idle.

Is there anything else that could be causing this problem?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Hello Zach Harner

Please do not post inside another members topic, your computer issue/s may appear to be the same but be completely different + your request for assistance may be overlooked as staff and members will check a topic that has yet to receive a reply but they may not if it appears that assistance has already been offered to the OP.

Please start your own topic and we will be happy to assist you there, copy/paste the above information into your OP + provide the brand and model name or number of your PSU.