Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Barcode Reader won't work in Serial Mode

• Please log in to reply

tomski

tomski

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi All,

I really hope someone here can help me. I purchased 2 wireless barcode readers from china. They work fine in USB mode however when I switch the scanner to rs-232 mode it won't read data. I have installed StrokeReader in an excel spreadsheet which listens to a specified COM Port for incoming data. I am also running Virtual Null Modem to create pair of virtual com ports. The scanners came without any drivers and when the wireless receiver is plugged into the USB port it the computer doe not add any new hardware or install any drivers.

How can I get the USB to receive data from the barcode reader when the reader is set to serial mode? It needs to be in serial mode as I want the data to be written in the background into an excel sheet.

Any feedback/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Advertisements

tomski

tomski

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Anyone? Please?

makaveiljojo

makaveiljojo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Probably something wrong with the configuration of your barcode scanner. Check this passage out, it's a barcode scanner integration tutorial. Hope it'll help!

susannamoore

susannamoore

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi All,

How can I get the USB to receive data from the barcode reader when the reader is set to serial mode? It needs to be in serial mode as I want the data to be written in the background into an excel sheet.

Some scanners need a driver you will need to interface with in order to pull the data.  If the barcode reader is USB keyboard wedge based scanner, it can read in the data and send them to the keyboard buffer, so your program doesn't have to do anything special.

So I guess you are supposed to ask the reader manufacture. They should have a library which might simplify things.