Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

SD Card stops being readable by both camera and pc

• Please log in to reply

undeniably-jtan

undeniably-jtan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hopefully this is not something that has been solved before on this forum...

The last time I used this SD card I was shooting a video when all of a sudden the camera refuses to save the recording and displayed something along the line of "...card corrupted....cannot read...". After that point my computer too refuses to read the card (although the windows sound do play when I insert it into the built in reader). It doesn't even get displayed in My Computer. It was working perfectly before with both my camera and pc. Now whenever I insert it into my camera, my camera won't go beyond the loading screen and a yellow light that's supposed to only flash for a sec after you've put in the card stays lit forever.

SD card is a SanDisk Extreme 16GB
camera is a Nikon D3100 (in case that's relevant)

It was only after this happened that I found out you shouldn't fill your sd card up to the point where it's full. This is very likely the problem since I had less than half of the memory left when I was shooting the video. How do I fix this?

I don't mind a solution that will delete all the photos and recordings (although if I can retrieve them, it'd be super!)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
:welcome: undeniably-jtan

Have you checked the position of the write-protect switch, if that is ok I suggest that you try running Recuva to see if you can save the data on the card, see here

Let us know how it goes.

undeniably-jtan

undeniably-jtan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, it was off. Thank you so much for the reply. I was able to get the photos back and although explorer didn't respond when I right-clicked and hit format (nor when i tried to access it), it finally did after running chkdsk in cmd.

Thank you again! :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are most welcome and thank you for the follow up undeniably-jtan :thumbsup: