Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No bootable device error

• Please log in to reply

Ndiamond333

Ndiamond333

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

Well i dropped my laptop on the floor its a acer: aspire E1-571-6837. Well after i dropped the laptop on the ground the hard drive started to make a strange beeping noise and stopped working completely, showing a "no bootable device: hit any key" which takes you to a window to choose a bootable device from but theres nothing to choose from, once you hit the exit button it takes you to a black screen where it says "no bootable device: restart computer" if you restart the cycle repeats. i have since bought a new hard drive and OS (windows 8) and the problem still continues, though theres no more strange beeping. Ive already checked the BIOS screen and its actually reading the new hard drive, i just cant get it to boot from the CDROM.

Please help,

Respectfully,

Nathan.

Advertisements

Cortezz

Cortezz

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Maybe your CD/DVD Drive also took a bashing and needs fixing? Does it recognise that?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
:welcome: Ndiamond333

Sorry to hear about your computer issues :(

Cortezz may be correct about the optical drive having been bashed but to see if we can get you back computing asap please see below;

If you have access to another computer that has an internet connection and you have a 4GB and above USB thumb drive that you can use you can download a Windows 8 ISO and install it from the USB thumb drive, full instructions available from here

Direct link to MS download tool here

Let us know how you get on or if you have any questions.

Ndiamond333

Ndiamond333

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you both, I'm going to track someone down that has a laptop i could barrow and put an ISO on a thumb drive. And then cross my fingers that thats all that was wrong, though having to buy a new disk drive would not be fun. Ill let you guys know ASAP if that worked or not. Thank you both again for your time.

Respectfully,
Nathan.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
You are most welcome Nathan :)

Let us know how it goes and most certainly if you have any questions along the way :thumbsup:

Ndiamond333

Ndiamond333

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, I had a friend make a bootable USB with windows 8, they loaded it on their comp and the boot worked. However, when i tried the boot on my laptop, i was again confronted with all the same errors... Im starting to think that maybe something busted with the mother boards... Im not sure, let me know if you guys have any other ideas that might fix the prob. If not, perhaps its time for me to admit defeat...

Thanks again :)

Respectfully,
Nathan.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.
With the computer off.
Insert the USB stick.
Start the computer and enter the BIOS.
Change the Boot order to USB/CD.DVD/HDD (where the OS is installed.)
Save Setting, then Exit.

Result please.

Ndiamond333

Ndiamond333

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you all for your help, and after trying all the advice i believe it is now time to throw in the towel :( Thanks again everyone time for me to look into a new laptop maybe a toughbook lol. Take care all and happy new year!!!

Respectfully,

Nathan.

Ndiamond333

Ndiamond333

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Im concluding this topic... Not sure if theres an official way to do that, im still new here.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Is there any data on the HDD that you would like to try and back up.