Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Launch Startup Repair Infinite Loop

• Please log in to reply

herefernow

herefernow

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Going on two days now with no solution in sight...

My Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 just starting having problems. I didn't do any new installs that I'm aware of (though I tried the patch for people having this problem after installing security update 2823324, which didn't work) and then, when I tried to start my computer yesterday, infinite loop.

When I press the power button, the Toshiba screen comes up with options for F2 or F12 only. Then I get an error (grey screen) saying that something has gone wrong and I have the option to Launch Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally. When I attempt to Start Windows Normally, it loops. It shows the Windows 4 color panels coming together for a minute and then loops back to the grey screen showing 2 options. If I choose Launch Startup Repair, it hangs with a movable mouse for.ev.er. It literally did this until my battery was dead last night.

So, things I've tried include crying like a little girl, booting off the Microsoft recommended disc for the above-mentioned security patch and seeing if I have the original Windows 7 discs, which I do not.

What are my options, here? Can someone point me to a specific boot disc and instructions for morons that I can use to recover my system?

Many thanks for any help!

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Hi Herefernow :welcome:

Can you try this?

- Start the computer and immediately press several time the F8 key to access a menu like the one on the image
Posted Image

- Select the option Disable automatic restart on system failure
- on the next menu select Windows 7 and let the system boot

Does the system restarts or you get a blue screen with codes?

Let me know and if it's the latter post all the information provided on the blue screen.

herefernow

herefernow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
So many thanks for the response!

BSOD:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you mightn eed.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x000000ED (0xFFFFFA8004B2EA50,0xFFFFFFFFC0000185,0x0000000000000000,0x0000000000000000)

Any thoughts?

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Hi,

I suppose you have some files you want to recover from the machine?

Let's do a disk check...
- Press F8 during boot and Click Repair your computer
- Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
- In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt.

When you boot into the Windows 7 Recovery Environment the drive letter for your Windows installation may not be the same. For example, if your Windows installation is normally on the C: drive, it may not be located at the D: drive. To determine what drive letter your Windows installation is located on, you can type this command press enter:
bcdedit | find "osdevice"
This command will display output similar to : os device partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive that your Windows installation is located.

type the command:
chkdsk /f /x D:
Note: replace D: with the drive returned by the command above.

Let me know if chkdsk found errors.

herefernow

herefernow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok, well, that didn't work. :-/

I hit F8, chose Repair and it did the same thing as when I chose Launch Startup Repair. I have a movable mouse icon and nothing else happens. I waited maybe 15 minutes. So, I decided to restart and try starting in Safe Mode. It said "Loading Files" and listed a bunch of files but then sort of froze for awhile after listing a bunch and then went to the original Toshiba startup screen and then back to the Windows Error Recovery screen.

Other ideas? Pretty please?!

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

Ok, well, that didn't work. :-/

I hit F8, chose Repair and it did the same thing as when I chose Launch Startup Repair. I have a movable mouse icon and nothing else happens. I waited maybe 15 minutes. So, I decided to restart and try starting in Safe Mode. It said "Loading Files" and listed a bunch of files but then sort of froze for awhile after listing a bunch and then went to the original Toshiba startup screen and then back to the Windows Error Recovery screen.

Other ideas? Pretty please?!

After selecting Repair Your Computer can you cancel the Repair process to access the following screen?
Posted Image

How about selecting Last Know Good Configuration on the F8 boot menu?

herefernow

herefernow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The specific file it stops at when I try to do anything related to Safe Mode (in case it helps) is:

windows\system32\DRIVERCLASSPNP.SYS

herefernow

herefernow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
When I hit F8, I don't get anything like that screen. I get a DOS-type screen and then it goes through the steps I mentioned above. I don't have any way of canceling the 'repair' once I've started it. There is no option (there is no text on the screen at all, for that matter. Just the cursor.) and hitting ESC (or anything else) does nothing.

Last Known Good Configuration had the same response.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Do you have anything external connected to the laptop?

Make sure you don't have any external device connected including mouse and try to boot in Safe Mode, the last line you see continues to be DRIVERCLASSPNP.SYS?

herefernow

herefernow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have nothing connected but a power cable. That is the last line I see, yes.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts

I have nothing connected but a power cable. That is the last line I see, yes.

Ok, Try to access the BIOS, when the computer is starting it should say something like Del, F1, F2, F10 to access Setup

Some laptops include diagnostic tools, if you find one to test the HDD run it, check if you BIOS have some option called AHCI for the Hard Disk, tell me what is the current value set and other options you can choose.

The configuration is different for every manufacture it could be like this:
Posted Image

Edit: What I want you to do is change the mode and see if it makes any difference. If is set to AHCI try changing to IDE or Compatible.
If is set to IDE or Compatible try with AHCI.

After the test if it doesn't work put back the initial value.

Edited by SleepyDude, 30 December 2013 - 03:50 PM.

herefernow

herefernow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
>.< I kid you not, my computer is now in Japanese. Everything that is not an acronym is in kanji. I hit F5 so I could change the value, but I think that actually CHANGED the value of whatever I was on, which must have been language. Oh good Lord.

herefernow

herefernow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Oh! Wait!!! I fixed it! :D Ok, trying your suggestion...

herefernow

herefernow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I had no option for anything like this. Despite having an assortment of options across the top (where your screen says "Advanced") which include Boot, Advanced, Power Management, etc., none of the screens have options for changing/looking at BIOS, AHCI, etc. I can enable or disable some things, change boot order, etc., but that seems to be all.

herefernow

herefernow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ah! I found it! Wow. It was buried in a sub-sub-sub Menu.

So, SATA Controler Mode: AHCI. I'm trying Compatibility.

It goes back to the normal bad screen asking me to Launch Repair, but I tried Start Windows Normally to see what would happen...

What happened is that it goes in the same loop. :-/