Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMD Phenom II B59 x2 or 965 x4?

• Please log in to reply

rhymin

rhymin

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I need a new CPU in my system. I previously had the Phenom II 965, but it was caked to the heatsink and is now toast in an unsuccessful attempt to remove it :(. I'm thinking about the AMD Phenom II x2 which is unlockable to 4 core. The seller in this ebay auction guarantees that all 4 cores are operational. Wouldn't this CPU perform the exact same as the Phenom II x4 965? I do not care about OC'ing, so that is not a factor in this decision. The reason I am wondering is because the B59 is about $100 cheaper than the 965.

Here is the auction and he will give a full refund if it doesn't work out: http://www.ebay.com/...=item1e7cb2ca11

I have the following MOBO: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO, this will unlock the cores, correct?

Advertisements

chessgame

chessgame

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello rhymin your motherboard supports core unlocker, But just because you can unlock the cores it does not mean they will work, some are quad cores that have had the cores turned off because they were faulty others because they needed more dual cores. I Have a one and could not get it to run stable with four cores unlocked, even after adjusting voltages it would still bsod , but it now runs stable on three cores. Good luck. Posted Image

Edited by chessgame, 31 December 2013 - 02:09 AM.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Thank you chessgame. I decided to purchase the B59 because the seller will offer me a full refund if it doesn't run stable. I've never unlocked cores in a CPU or had to adjust voltages or anything. I have the following mobo: ASUS M4A79XTD EVO

1) Should I unlock the cores through BIOS, and if so, how do I do this exactly?

2) Also, if I need to change the voltage, do I need a program to do this, or again through the BIOS, and do you decrease or increase the voltage when unlocking more cores?

3) Could unlocking cores or messing with the voltages result in potentially damaging the CPU? If so, I might not be able to get a full refund.

4) Any other suggestions or advice before I do this?

Thank you so much for responding! :P

Edited by rhymin, 31 December 2013 - 02:38 AM.

chessgame

chessgame

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello rhymin, The first thing you need to know is adjusting voltages can damage your motherboard, and cpu, adjusting voltages is done in bios it will be an increase, looking at the spec of your motherboard it has ACC on the south bridge chip,this is what you can use to unlock certain phenom processors, No guarantee it will unlock both cores, If you really need 4 cores my advice is buy a 4 core processor, If you decide to go ahead with this will be happy to help. Your welcome by the way.

rhymin

rhymin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
I just decided to go with this because he offers a full refund if the system doesn't stay stable with 4 cores unlocked. He "guarantees" that 4 cores will unlock, but he hasn't tested the CPU for hours upon end. So that's where I come in. I will receive the CPU in a few days, so I will probably ask a couple questions when I do get it. Thanks for your help!