Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

audio virus, redirected web searches, false warnings [Closed] [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

audreymaye

audreymaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Where do I get the security check log?

Advertisements

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts

Where do I get the security check log?

Hello :)

Go to post #37 by clicking here and run Step #3. :thumbsup:

audreymaye

audreymaye

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Okay here's the security checkup log:

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.79
Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is enabled)
Internet Explorer 11
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Enabled!
avast! Antivirus
Antivirus up to date!
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300
Java 7 Update 25
Java version out of Date!
Adobe Flash Player 11.9.900.170
Adobe Reader XI
Mozilla Firefox 25.0.1 Firefox out of Date!
Google Chrome 31.0.1650.48
Google Chrome 31.0.1650.57
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice.exe
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamgui.exe
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbamscheduler.exe
AVAST Software Avast AvastSvc.exe
AVAST Software Avast AvastUI.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 2%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

pystryker

pystryker

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,912 posts
Hello :)

Great news, your logs are CLEAN! :thumbsup: :) But we still have a few things we need to address namely:

• I need to remove the tools we installed on your machine.
  • We also have some programs on your machine that need updating to help protect you in the future.
  • I'll also have some information for you to help reduce your chances of infection.

Ok, here we go:

Step 1: Delete old restore points and create a new one.

We're going to delete your old restore points and create a new one. We do this in case you need to do a system restore, you will have a clean restore point.

Please follow the instructions below:

• Start OTL and copy the text in the quote box below.
  • Paste the contents into the Custom Scans/Fixes box and click the Run Fix button.
  • OTL will delete the old restore points and create a new one.

:Files
%systemroot%\sysnative\vssadmin delete shadows /for=c: /all /quiet /c

:Commands
[CreateRestorePoint]

Step 2: Program updates and installation of FileHippo

Your current version of Java is out of date, however, before we update it, I have some information regarding it for you.

A word about Java

Java has become the #1 program exploited by thieves and hackers as of today. It's gotten so bad, the Department of Homeland Security recently recommended that users disable Java on their machines.

For more information regarding this, see the two articles below:

Forbes: US Department of Homeland Security Calls on user do disable Java

US warns on Java software

Unless you have software on your machine that absolutely requires Java, I highly recommend you completely remove it from your system.

If you do have software that requires it, then disable it until such time as it's needed by those programs.

Please click the link below for instructions to disable Java.

How to Disable Java in your Web Browser

If you wish to continue to use Java on your machine, please be sure to keep it updated by following the instructions below.

• Click on this link Java Website and click Do I Have Java?
  • Then click the Verify Java Version button. It will scan your current version and show you if you have the most current version.

You can also download a tool called JavaRa that will automatically search for new updates and remove older versions of Java.
Click the link below to go to the download page to get the tool.

JavaRa

Once you have downloaded JavaRa

• Unzip the files to the directory of your choice.
  • Double click the JavaRa icon in the directory and choose your language preference.
  • Click Remove Older Versions from the menu.
  • Click Yes.
  • If you get a warning that Internet Explorer needs to be closed, close it, then click ok.
  • JavaRa will then search for and remove old versions of Java from your machine.

You can find instructions for manually removing older versions for Windows XP, Vista, and 7 by clicking the link below:

Instructions for manually removing old versions of Java

Keeping your software updated

Another weapon against malicious programs and viruses is to keeping other programs updated. There are several programs out there that can check for out of date programs on your computer. One is Filehippo. You can run this on a weekly or monthly basis to check your programs for updates and then it will provide a link for you to download them.

Download Filehippo Updatechecker

Update Mozilla FireFox

Your current version of FireFox is out of date. You can update it by clicking on Help and then About FireFox.

FireFox will check your current version and update it to the latest version.

Step 3: Tool Removal

Tool Deletions: You can delete the following tools from your desktop.

• Junkware Removal Tool
  • SecurityCheck

Tool Uninstalls: Please uninstall the following tools from your machine.

• Start AdwCleaner and press the Uninstall button. AdwCleaner will delete itself from your computer.
  • You can uninstall ESET Online Scanner from your machine.
  • Start OTL and press the Clean Up button. OTL will delete itself from your computer.
  • I recommend you keep Malwarebytes Anti Malware on your computer. Start it, update it and run a scan about once a week.

Step 4: Tips and Information

Watch what you open in your emails. If you get an email from an unknown source with any attached files, do not open it.

Be careful of the websites you visit.

When installing new programs, don't be "click happy" and click through the screens. Many programs come with adware in them and are set to install them by default. Several programs require that you uncheck or select no to prevent the installation. Take you time and read each screen as you go. :)

To help protect yourself while on the web, I recommend you read How did I get infected in the first place?

A warning about CryptoLocker

CryptoLocker is a ransomware program that was released around the beginning of September 2013 that targets all versions of Windows including Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8. This ransomware will encrypt certain files using a mixture of RSA & AES encryption. When it has finished encrypting your files, it will display a CryptoLocker payment program that prompts you to send a ransom of either $100 or $300 in order to decrypt the files. This screen will also display a timer stating that you have 72 hours, or 4 days, to pay the ransom or it will delete your encryption key and you will not have any way to decrypt your files. This ransom must be paid using MoneyPak vouchers or Bitcoins. Once you send the payment and it is verified, the program will decrypt the files that it encrypted.

Please download and install CryptoPrevent to lock your machine down from this infection.

Posted Image

Are there any further issues I can help you with?

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.