Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Fresh Install But Randomly Restarts

• Please log in to reply

crazy_azz_mat

crazy_azz_mat

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok I did a fresh install of windows xp (unsure of the version but lets say for arguements sack its one of the first versions) and it keeps on self rebooting. On screen it says you have a X amount of time till reboot. I have also been told that it said one time that a infection was found or something like that. This computer I am looking at isnt mine and the person doesnt seem to give me a straight answer. Now another source (my bro) told me that the very first versions were instantly susseptable (sp?) to a worm/infection that would download itself on the any old versions. Is this true? Seems reasonable. He also said that there are two ways to go about getting rid of the problem.

A) Reformating and before going on the net put up WINXP firewall and then dl latest patches

OR

B), which he isnt sure of, is to use S-T-I-N-G-E-R.exe from McFee and that will remove that worm. Can anyone verify this information or somehow if me a solution. PLEASE THESE PEOPLE WONT GET OFF MY BACK TO FIX THIS COMPUTER!!! :tazz: I hate microsoft for those security holes. ;)

Edited by crazy_azz_mat, 08 June 2005 - 09:26 PM.

Advertisements

CMDA

CMDA

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
that seems to be the sasser/blaster worm. As soon as you install w2000 or xp, it isn't protected against this worms. You need to download (best from another computer) windows patch WindowsXP-KB835732 and install it before it restarts. After this patch instalation, your problem is solved...