Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer shows available networks, but cannot connect (Wireless adapte

• Please log in to reply

JJ77

JJ77

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, first off...I have an HP laptop that I have had about two years...The computer has worked flawlessly for me until recently. One day, my wife mentioned to me that "The computer won't get online." I assumed that one of two things had happened. Either the router/modem was in need of restarting because of a power loss or the wireless radio receiver was set to "off".

I looked at the computer, and sure enough, the wireless adapter light was "amber" meaning it was shut off. I pushed the button and the blue came on...Thinking to myself no worries...and then I was prompted that the computer could not connect to the network (which was my normal home network that the computer automatically logs into on a normal basis). Then the amber light came back on and HP wireless assistant prompts "wireless access disabled". I push the button again...light stays amber and HP wireless assistant prompts "wireless access disabled".

I opened up the network info in the control panel and our home network shows up in the available networks with a strong signal... I click to disable the wireless network and it shows "disabled"....I click again to enable it, and it shows "enabled device is working correctly" The icon in the taskbar appears to be connecting to the network, but ultimately says that it cannot.

I run the Windows wireless repair utility or whatever it is called and it says it is checking for issues...restarting wireless adapter...etc...issues found...could not solve, etc.

I keep trying to turn on/off the wireless receiver using the "wireless radio" or "airplane mode" button, but it just shows amber all the time, and displays "disabled" each time I pushed the button.

Well I decided that I would replace the whole wireless adapter/receiver...Assuming that was the issue, and a fairly inexpensive remedy. I ordered an identical model "Realtek RTL8191SE 802.11b/g/n PCI-E Half mini Wireless HP SPS# 593033-001"

The new wireless card comes in the mail..I replace it with the new one, start up the computer and I immediately get the "amber" light on my keyboard for the on/off switch. I wait for everything to load correctly and I hit the button...It goes to "blue" and I assume we are back in service!

No luck...It recognizes the network, but it still cannot connect, and the light soon turns back to amber... I tried reloading the driver (again which I forgot to mention I already did earlier)...Restart the computer with driver reloaded...no dice..

All other devices (About 3 cell phones, the laptop I am writing this on, and a tablet) work just fine with this modem/router setup, and the laptop in question does NOT work work at other public/private networks either. I am here looking for answers before I drop it off at a computer repair store..HELP

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
:welcome: JJ77

Couple of questions if I may;
What is the exact model name or number of the HP.
Have you tried reestablishing the connection to the internet from the router as in notebook > router > ISPs gateway to the internet.
Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling your ISPs software, this includes entering your network and password keys.
Have you checked the status of the network device in the Device Manager, any yellow ! or red X present.
Are you able to connect to the internet by way of an Ethernet port.
What anti virus software do you have and have you tried temporarily disabling it (not for continuous use, only to see if it helps).

JJ77

JJ77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the reply! First...I will be able to answer a few of these questions until I can contact my brother. I got a new laptop for Christmas, so I gave this one as a gift my brother who needed one. He has it currently, so the model number/name is not readily handy.

I can answer some of the other questions until I get confirmation from him on the model number/name.

What is the exact model name or number of the HP. Will get this info. asap

Have you tried reestablishing the connection to the internet from the router as in notebook > router > ISPs gateway to the internet. No, I never did this, partially because I never had to do this in the first place. I plugged in my cable modem (which I purchased, not rent) and then plugged in the router. Everything worked fine and the computer's wireless card recognized the network immediately.

Have you tried uninstalling and then reinstalling your ISPs software, this includes entering your network and password keys. I also have not tried this. I do not have any ISP software, and I do not have use a network passkey. I live in a rural area with no neighbors that could access my internet service so I have an open network.

Have you checked the status of the network device in the Device Manager, any yellow ! or red X present.Yes, I have checked network device and no issues have been found. All devices are listed as working correctly.

Are you able to connect to the internet by way of an Ethernet port. Yes, I am able to connect with the ethernet port, and actually resorted to that method for about a week until the new wireless card came in the mail.

What anti virus software do you have and have you tried temporarily disabling it (not for continuous use, only to see if it helps). I have AVG Antivirus installed in my computers and this one as well. No, I have not tried disabling it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Thanks for the additional information :thumbsup:

Sorry but I should have also asked earlier, is the NIC enabled in the BIOS.

I am not aware of all of the security requirements for every ISP but I have yet to encounter one here in the UK that does not require the initial pairing of a new device by way of an SSID number and WPA2 password key being entered, can I ask who your ISP is.

JJ77

JJ77

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well, thank you for your help, but I suppose it isn't necessary now...My brother said that it is recognizing the networks at his home and at work without problems now.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
You are welcome and thanks for the follow up JJ77 :thumbsup: