Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Attaching external hard drive

• Please log in to reply

JonnJonzz

JonnJonzz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My Toshiba laptop is giving me a "S.M.A.R.T." warning that its hard drive may be failing. The unit is out of warranty, of course. I purchased a replacement hard drive. My plan is to attach the new drive externally, clone the possibly-failing drive to the new drive, then install the new drive into the laptop.

I have the new drive installed in a NexStar TX external drive housing. However, the instructions are rather sparse, and don't tell me how to attach the drive to the system. The connector is a USB "Y" cable. Do I attach both arms of the Y to USB ports on the laptop, or only one of them?

Thanks.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,149 posts
Hi JonnJonzz :welcome:

Yes connect the two cables of the "Y" some Hard Drives will work only with one other need the two connected it will no do any harm to connect the 2 ends.

Just for curiosity, what tool you will use to clone the drive?

JonnJonzz

JonnJonzz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've downloaded several freebies. One site recommended DriveImage XML as a good choice for straightforward drive-cloning.

If you have other suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,149 posts

I've downloaded several freebies. One site recommended DriveImage XML as a good choice for straightforward drive-cloning.

Careful with the freebies make sure you choose to do a custom install so you have a chance to uncheck the box's to skip installing the junk many times are offered...

Yes DriveImage XML seems to be a good product, I personally never tried.

If you have other suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them.

If your new Hard Drive is from Seagate/Samsung or Western Digital they provide for free a special version of Acronis True Image that is a very good program to do that task.