Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3 monitor setup

• Please log in to reply

steuk28

steuk28

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all
I need to run 3 monitor for stocks and shares (not gaming).
i just got the Asus Radeon HD 5450 graphics card with 3 outputs: 1xVGA, 1xDVI and 1xHDMI.

Connections to monitors are =
VGA to VGA
DVI to DVI
HDMI to VGA using an adapter

All 3 connections work, but i can only get 2 monitors on at any one time.
I read that it may not be possible to get 3 monitors on at the same time unless my graphics card has a display port output.
If this is true could anyone recomend a silent graphics card that will display 3 monitors.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday steuk28, Posted Image
Your right, With that card, no you can't get 3 diferent images, The best you're going to get is two using a combination of either the DVI (not AVI) and HDMI or VGA and HDMI. Reason is that the card only has two RAMDAC's,on it, and one of them is shared between the DVI and VGA port and can only be used for either or. You can use a DVI or VGA splitter, but unless all you want is a clone/duplicate of one of the displays, not worth doing.
This card however can display 3 separate images as it has a display ports and 3 RAMDAC's but the catch is you need a monitor with a display port.
> http://www.sapphiret...1&pid=312&leg=0 You could look for a similar card, you need to check what cables are included. I think you can use an active display port adapter for one monitor, pretty expensive though.

If you just got the card, can you exchange or RMA it.
Let us know if not possible and will look for a suitable card for you.

No gaming at all????