Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Having a hard time installing new RAM, any help?

• Please log in to reply

TodDaWild

TodDaWild

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
So as the title says, i'm having a hard time installing new ram that i bought, i have 4gb in my computer, 1stick of 2gb, and 2sticks of 1gb. I bought 3 sticks of 2gb, so i will remove the 2x1gb, and end up with 4x2gb = 8gb.

The problem now is, when i install the rams, the pc won't start, after 2hours of putting them in different slots i ended up with 1 ram that wont show 2gb on my computer (is this ram broken or am i doing it wrong?), and the others nice installed.

When i open my computer, log in, check that i have 6gb installed, i go do my things, and i get blue screen, and this happens every time, i even left my pc to "cooldown" for about 3 hours, booted up again, and the same problem is there, right now i have my old rams installed.

Can someone help!?
Thank you.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Hi TodDaWild

What's the make an model of the computer?

What operating system is installed 64Bit windows 7 ?

Where did you get the ram from?

Are you being careful to handle the ram carefully. It is static sensitive and can be damaged easily from static...

Thanks
Joe :)

Edited by zep516, 01 January 2014 - 07:55 PM.

TodDaWild

TodDaWild

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi TodDaWild

What's the make an model of the computer?

What operating system is installed 64Bit windows 7 ?

Where did you get the ram from?

Are you being careful to handle the ram carefully. It is static sensitive and can be damaged easily from static...

Thanks

Yes i have 64bit windows 7, i ordered it online, it's 3 HP sticks of 2gb , and yes, i am pretty careful with handling my computer.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Your computer is a HP? What's the model #

Is it an HP Pavilion ?

How to find model # Here

Thanks

TodDaWild

TodDaWild

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Your computer is a HP? What's the model #

Is it an HP Pavilion ?

How to find model # Here

Thanks

No, i've self build my computer, my motherboard is a gigabite.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
OK.

Everything works with the old ram so,

It does sound as if the ram you put in is bad or something happened to it. Your sure it's the correct ram for the mother board ?

Since you built it I trust you did put the right Ram in.

Can you do this,

Get the free version of Speccy:

http://www.filehippo...ownload_speccy/ (Look in the upper right for the Download)
Latest Version button) Download, Save and Install it. Run Speccy. When it finishes (the little icon in the bottom left will stop moving), File, Save as Text File, (to your desktop) note the name it gives. OK. Open the file in notepad and delete the line that gives the serial number of your Operating System. (It will be near the top about 10 lines down.) Attach the file to your next post.

Next I'd like to see this report

Download WhoCrashed

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

• Put a tick in Accept then click on Next.
  • Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next.
  • Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon.
  • then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish.
  • Click Analyze
  • It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it.
Copy and paste it into your next reply.

Edited by zep516, 02 January 2014 - 08:06 AM.

TodDaWild

TodDaWild

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

OK.

Everything works with the old ram so,

It does sound as if the ram you put in is bad or something happened to it. Your sure it's the correct ram for the mother board ?

Since you built it I trust you did put the right Ram in.

Can you do this,

Get the free version of Speccy:

http://www.filehippo...ownload_speccy/ (Look in the upper right for the Download)
Latest Version button) Download, Save and Install it. Run Speccy. When it finishes (the little icon in the bottom left will stop moving), File, Save as Text File, (to your desktop) note the name it gives. OK. Open the file in notepad and delete the line that gives the serial number of your Operating System. (It will be near the top about 10 lines down.) Attach the file to your next post.

Next I'd like to see this report

Download WhoCrashed

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

• Put a tick in Accept then click on Next.
  • Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next.
  • Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon.
  • then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish.
  • Click Analyze
  • It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it.
Copy and paste it into your next reply.

Here you go.

Attached Files

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Hi,

I'm posting the basic information so others can see it too.

Summary
0perating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 38 °C Kentsfield 65nm Technology
RAM 4,00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EP31-DS3L (Socket 775) 30 °C
Graphics SyncMaster (1680x1050@60Hz)1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (Gigabyte) 26 °C
Storage 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-00A7B0 ATA Device (SATA) 32 °C
Optical Drives TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223F ATA Device
Audio High Definition Audio Device
Operating System
Computer type: Desktop
Installation Date: 11-12-2013 22:50:59
Serial Number: *Deleted*
Windows Security Center User Account Control (UAC) Enabled
Notify level 2 - Default
Firewall Disabled
Antivirus Disabled
Windows Update AutoUpdate Not configured
Windows Defender Windows Defender Enabled
.NET Frameworks installed
v4.0 Full
v4.0 Client
v3.5 SP1
v3.0 SP2
v2.0 SP2
Internet Explorer Version 8.0.7600.16385

And the who crashed report.

38 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 10 are included in this report. 2 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 331.82 , NVIDIA Corporation)
netr28ux.sys (Ralink 802.11n Wireless Adapter Driver, Ralink Technology Corp.)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Is that the full report for who crashed? You're having driver issues in the report.

Edited by zep516, 02 January 2014 - 08:04 PM.

TodDaWild

TodDaWild

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi,

I'm posting the basic information so others can see it too.

Summary
0perating System
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 38 °C Kentsfield 65nm Technology
RAM 4,00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-15)
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. EP31-DS3L (Socket 775) 30 °C
Graphics SyncMaster (1680x1050@60Hz)1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (Gigabyte) 26 °C
Storage 465GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AAKS-00A7B0 ATA Device (SATA) 32 °C
Optical Drives TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223F ATA Device
Audio High Definition Audio Device
Operating System
Computer type: Desktop
Installation Date: 11-12-2013 22:50:59
Serial Number: *Deleted*
Windows Security Center User Account Control (UAC) Enabled
Notify level 2 - Default
Firewall Disabled
Antivirus Disabled
Windows Update AutoUpdate Not configured
Windows Defender Windows Defender Enabled
.NET Frameworks installed
v4.0 Full
v4.0 Client
v3.5 SP1
v3.0 SP2
v2.0 SP2
Internet Explorer Version 8.0.7600.16385

And the who crashed report.

38 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 10 are included in this report. 2 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 331.82 , NVIDIA Corporation)
netr28ux.sys (Ralink 802.11n Wireless Adapter Driver, Ralink Technology Corp.)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.

Is that the full report for who crashed? You're having driver issues in the report.

Yes, that's all, i copied all the thing so you know it's all. Do you have a solution? or is my computer not high level enough to hold that gear? haha

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Hi TodDaWild,

Hows the computer running right now with the old ram installed? Any problems? or blue screens?

You did visit windows up date after you reinstalled, and installed service pack 1 for windows 7 and other windows up dates. Right! You did all that?

Thanks

Edited by zep516, 03 January 2014 - 06:17 PM.

Advertisements

TodDaWild

TodDaWild

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hi TodDaWild,

Hows the computer running right now with the old ram installed? Any problems? or blue screens?

You did visit windows up date after you reinstalled, and installed service pack 1 for windows 7 and other windows up dates. Right! You did all that?

Thanks

The computer is running perfect, not a single error.. and i didn't quite understand what you said about the second thing.

If i understand it right, i don't think i did any other updates and stuff after installing windows.

Edited by TodDaWild, 03 January 2014 - 06:25 PM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
OK.

After you install windows you need to visit windows up date to install up dates to the operating system. This is very important !

See Here. This may take a while on your computer. Please follow the instructions on the link and get your Windows up dated. Windows 7 will need service pack 1 installed and should be available at the windows up date page too.

Let me know when you get up dated, like I said this is going to take a while and don't be in a hurry to do it. It's important to get it up dated.

Thanks

Edited by zep516, 03 January 2014 - 06:58 PM.

TodDaWild

TodDaWild

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

OK.

After you install windows you need to visit windows up date to install up dates to the operating system. This is very important !

See Here. This may take a while on your computer. Please follow the instructions on the link and get your Windows up dated. Windows 7 will need service pack 1 installed and should be available at the windows up date page too.

Let me know when you get up dated, like I said this is going to take a while and don't be in a hurry to do it. It's important to get it up dated.

Thanks

So i have to get service pack 1

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,090 posts
Yes. Because it includes many security up dates, see Here

Let me know if you have any issues up dating windows 7

Thanks
Joe

TodDaWild

TodDaWild

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Yes. Because it includes many security up dates, see Here

Let me know if you have any issues up dating windows 7

Thanks
Joe

Downloading service pack now, but how will security up dates help with the ram? :P