Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

how to fix the stop: 0x0000008E blue screen

• Please log in to reply

nims

nims

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi! I am new here! so this morning my dad told me that his computer is refusing to boot and asked me to fix it.... this is my first time seeing such an error and i am not used to windows xp.... so yeah....a blue screen appears everytime i try restarting. I tried googling the problem but could not find a solution that could help fix the problem. The solutions i found on both google and geeks to go says that there will be a black screen on startup saying start windows normally like on my windows 8 laptop when i dont shut it down properly. But on my dad's computer, there is a screen written winfast on startup. note that i cannot start tje computer and that the computer is using windows xp home basic

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014-01-02 12.56.32.jpg
  • 2014-01-02 11.44.16.jpg

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (chose "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
This could also be a memory problem. A quick way to find out is to power down the computer and open the case.
Remove 1/2 of the memory then power up and see what happens. If ok then the memory you removed is bad. If not, swap memory and test again.

If you remove more than one memory module, then swap memory to you have definitely found the defective one.