Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Maybe it's my PSU?

• Please log in to reply

TehPope

TehPope

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Well, I had this problem a while ago but it stopped for a couple of months.

Everynow and then my computer just decides to shut off. And when it shuts off it doesn't like to turn back on. I actually have to open my case and use the handy little button on the motherboard. Which leads me to believe that something is wrong with the psu.
Today more than ever, my computer just turns off randomly. Not only will it shut itself off but after it shuts off if I let it sit it likes to turn back on without me even touching it. I've tried a few actual power cables, which was my first thought...to no avail.
Aside from the constant power struggle there is a random component in this beast of a computer that likes to make an odd little....buzz? I'll be playing WoW...or even just on the UI to XP I will go to drag a box (anything from an IM to a webpage to my C: window) and I hear a little....tick/buzz coming from what sounds like my PSU. It's so close to my CPU that I'm not positive.

If I can get anyhelp here it would be most appreciated. Thanks!

- TehPope

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi TehPope. Welcome to Geeks to Go. Try changing out the power supply. A good source for for power supplies on line is newegg.com. When you go to change it, carefully note the placement of cable connections and put the new one in matching those connections. Also be sure to use sound anti static precausions while working inside of the computer. If you don't have a wrist strap, ground yourself by touching a metal part of the case.