Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

new computer probs

• Please log in to reply

sschweickert

sschweickert

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i know there is already a million posts on this but none of them have helped me.
i have
AMD 64 |4000+ ATHLON 64
MB|FOXCONN NF4UK8AA-8EKRS
2x 512 corsair ram
HD 250GB|HITC 7200RPM 8MB
VGA EVGA GF 6800GT video card
and a chaintech sound card

when i first hooked everything up and tried to boot, i got no beeps, or even fans to run. The power supply( which was 420 and came with the case) made a strange buzzing noise. I figured i had a bad ps and sent it back, they sent a new one back and it does the same thing. I took a ps from a different computer that i know works, and it also failed. so now i know its not the ps. i have no clue what to do now somebody help!

this is my first build and i am a noob!

Advertisements

Astrotrain

Astrotrain

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

i know there is already a million posts on this but none of them have helped me. 
i have
AMD 64 |4000+ ATHLON 64
MB|FOXCONN NF4UK8AA-8EKRS
2x 512 corsair ram
HD 250GB|HITC 7200RPM 8MB
VGA EVGA GF 6800GT video card
and a chaintech sound card

View Post

Well you have eliminated the power supply, time to look at the mobo and proc itself.

I would unhook the hdisk and soundcard for now, you just want to perform a simple
post test (mobo, video card, cpu and ram). Once you get past that then add in the
other issues.

If you add in say the hdisk or soundcard, and you get the hum, then you may have a bad soundcard or hdisk.

Process of elimination