Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Notebook freezing, can't figure out why.

• Please log in to reply

Chopper686

Chopper686

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hey,

My MSI GT780DXR laptop keeps freezing, sometimes it does it after I've logged in and occasionally there will be a static-like sound for a few seconds after, then it will go quiet. Although on other occasions it will freeze "randomly" when I am using the laptop, regardless of what I am doing; simply watching a YouTube video, browsing the web or on Facebook. My first thought was that it is overheating although it doesn't appear to be overly hot when it freezes. There is never a blue screen. Also, performance doesn't appear to be effected, the performance of the laptop still appears to be very good, freezing aside.

I really don't know what the problem is and would really like to know if I should send it away to be repaired or if it's simply a faulty driver or something simple instead.

Many thanks in advance,

Advertisements

Babbzzz

Babbzzz

Writing Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
Hello Chopper686 :)

I suggest you perform a Clean Boot, this might help you pin point to what's causing the problem.

Post back. :)

Chopper686

Chopper686

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Hello Chopper686 :)

I suggest you perform a Clean Boot, this might help you pin point to what's causing the problem.

Post back. :)

Thank you for your response, 'Babbzzz'.

It's a really tricky one to try and diagnose, because the freezing doesn't happen 100% of the time. It happens almost all the time after the first boot of usage, then if it stays okay for a while it may stay okay for a long-ish amount of time. I can't get to the bottom of it. But I'd really like it to stop, obviously.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks,

p.s - I did clean boot it and it seemed to load up fine, but like I say, if it had already loaded nicely prior to that then I'm not sure whether the clean boot actually helped or if it was simply just working well at that moment in time.

Babbzzz

Babbzzz

Writing Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
I'm not sure I quite understood you.

After you did the Clean Boot was the PC acting smooth or did the problem persist?

Chopper686

Chopper686

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear.

I did the clean boot and the Notebook loaded up just fine, which is great. However, the Notebook does not freeze 100% of the time, usually if it boots up and works fine for around 10 minutes then it will stay fine for a long while. So, I can not be sure if it was fine because of the clean boot, or if it was simply fine just because it happened to successfully avoid freezing, just like it can when I boot it up normally. - It's a difficult problem to explain, and apparently difficult to diagnose.

I am hoping that it is not hardware, although I fear that it most likely is.

I do apologise if it's difficult to understand.

Many thanks,

Babbzzz

Babbzzz

Writing Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
Good. :)

Now enable one program at a time at boot and see if you can find the culprit that is causing the freezes.

Post back if you have any questions. :)

It's probably me, English is not my first language.

Chopper686

Chopper686

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks again for the reply.

Is there another way to find out?

I only ask because the Laptop doesn't freeze 100% of the time, therefore by doing this method it could take a matter of days/weeks to actually get to the cause of the problem.

Many thanks,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
I hope you don`t mind the interjection here folks :unsure:

Babbzzz
What about trying safe mode with networking so that the notebook can be used as the OP normally would but with minimal resources running, if it runs normally then it may suggest a third party driver is responsible.

Chopper686
Does the issue happen when you only have the battery powering the notebook or does it also happen when you have the battery in place and the AC adapter connected and charging the battery.

Does the issue happen if you remove the battery and power the notebook using only the AC adapter.

Chopper686

Chopper686

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Chopper686
Does the issue happen when you only have the battery powering the notebook or does it also happen when you have the battery in place and the AC adapter connected and charging the battery.

Does the issue happen if you remove the battery and power the notebook using only the AC adapter.

Hi Philpower2,

Thank you for helping.

I have only ever turned my laptop on with the AC power plugged in, so I would only know with the adapted in, not out.

Today, for example; the Laptop has been on for 10 hours without failing once, however I am quite certain that if I were to put the Laptop on to standby and then boot it back up it would almost certainly freeze.

I don't truly understand it myself.

Many thanks,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Using the notebook permanently connected to the mains power with the battery in place will reduce the life expectancy of the battery and cause you various types of issue, try charging your battery up to 100% then removing it and use mains power only, see if the issue occurs.

Advertisements

Babbzzz

Babbzzz

Writing Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

I hope you don`t mind the interjection here folks :unsure:

Babbzzz
What about trying safe mode with networking so that the notebook can be used as the OP normally would but with minimal resources running, if it runs normally then it may suggest a third party driver is responsible.

Nope, I always appreciate it. :)

Usually a Clean Boot fixes such issues unlesss it's something with the Hardware. Yes, you're right, if 3rd-party drivers are the cause, booting in Safe Mode would be the way to go.

Thank you. :)

Chopper686

Chopper686

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I do apologise for the late reply, I've been slightly busy lately.

Right, so unfortunately I tried both of your suggestions and it hasn't worked as of yet, still freezing.

I decided to restore the Laptop back to Factory Settings because that should eliminate the software issue. It seemed fine for a while, until it just froze again along with the odd sound that it makes upon freezing (lasting around 3-9 seconds).

Any suggestions on where to go from here? I am beginning to think that I must have some serious hardware issues, because performance was deteriorating slightly along with the freezing before I did the restoration to Factory Settings.

Many thanks,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
Have you tried removing the battery and using the notebook powered only by the AC adapter.

Chopper686

Chopper686

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Have you tried removing the battery and using the notebook powered only by the AC adapter.

Yes, it's currently running only on the AC adapter, and froze like that too..

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,762 posts
To see if we can identify any driver conflicts please refer to the copy/paste details below provided courtesy of jcgriff2 :thumbsup:

1. Create a Windows System Restore Point -
Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"

2. Run the Driver Verifier -
Go to START | type verifier | make these selections -

1. Select 2nd option - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
2. Select 2nd option - "Select individual settings from a full list"
3. Check these boxes -▪ Special Pool
▪ Pool Tracking
▪ Force IRQL checking
▪ Deadlock Detection
▪ Security Checks (new as of Windows 7)
▪ Concurrency Stress Test (new as of Windows 8)
▪ DDI compliance checking (new as of Windows 8)
▪ Miscellaneous Checks4. Select last option - "Select driver names from a list"
5. Click on the Provider heading - sorts list by Provider
6. Check ALL boxes where "Microsoft" IS NOT the Provider
7. Click on Finish
8. Re-boot*** IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ:

- If the Driver Verifier (DV) finds a violation, it will result in a BSOD

- After re-start, you may not be able to log on to normal Windows
... • Boot into SAFEMODE - tap the F8 key repeatedly during boot-up
... • Select "System Restore"
... • Choose the restore point that you created in step #1

- For Driver Verifier status
--- select last option, 1st screen -or-
--- type verifier /query (in a cmd/DOS screen)
- To turn Driver Verifier off - verifier /reset then re-boot

- The Driver Verifier needs to run as long as possible - even if the status screen appears clear.
- All future BSOD dumps must be VERIFIER_ENABLED_MINIDUMPs - otherwise the dump(s) are of no use

If your system does BSOD while the Driver Verifier is running, please retrieve the dump file from c:\windows\minidump and attach it to your next reply.