Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Notebook freezing, can't figure out why.

• Please log in to reply

Chopper686

Chopper686

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thank you for the reply.

I tried this and it appears that nothing much really happened... I selected everything as instructed and then restarted the laptop and it simply restarted and that was it. Do I now go back to the restore point? Or should I do something else?

Sorry if I've missed something but I believe I've followed the instructions given.

Many thanks,

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

I selected everything as instructed and then restarted the laptop and it simply restarted and that was it.

Please clarify as in you rebooted the notebook after ticking the required boxes > Driver Verifier ran and then the notebook restarted itself, is that correct.

Chopper686

Chopper686

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
[quote name='phillpower2' timestamp='1389299260' post='2365212']
[quote Driver Verifier ran and then the notebook restarted itself, is that correct.
[/quote]

No, I was left with a message stating that changes would be made after system restarts, so I restarted it myself.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Please repeat the procedure but after the step 8 restart instruction do not restart the computer yourself again, use it as you would normally to see if the computer crashes, continue to use the computer as long as it is stable please.

Chopper686

Chopper686

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Please repeat the procedure but after the step 8 restart instruction do not restart the computer yourself again, use it as you would normally to see if the computer crashes, continue to use the computer as long as it is stable please.

Ah my apologies, I think I was confused by step 8 "Re-boot" and the instruction after I clicked finish to "Restart the computer for the changes to take effect" - It did not say anything about it running in the background. I have just started doing it, does this mean that at some point I will be notified that it has finished? Or will my laptop just crash at some point?

Many thanks,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Driver verifier will only result in a crash if an error occurs, if no error occurs then Driver Verifier will continue to run, a crash can occur after DV has been running for more than 24 hours so please be patient.

Chopper686

Chopper686

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Driver verifier will only result in a crash if an error occurs, if no error occurs then Driver Verifier will continue to run, a crash can occur after DV has been running for more than 24 hours so please be patient.

Oh, I see. So this could really take a while. I did not realise that it was now running in the background without showing anything. So, I guess I should not turn the laptop off at all. Even when I go to sleep. - This may appear to be a silly question but what do I do if it still has not crashed after 24 hours?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
DV will only run when the computer is in use so if it is in stand by mode for example there are no checks being made, this because no drivers are running.

Chopper686

Chopper686

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The laptop still has not been turned off and nothing has happened so far, I genuinely do not fully understand this program. It gives no sign at all that it is checking the computer.

Just a little status update.

Many thanks,

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
No crashes then :unsure:

If no crashes give it 24hrs of up time and then disable DV, go to Start and enter into the search field verifier.exe into the start and open Verifier and then the delete existing settings option, see how the computer then behaves please.

Advertisements

Chopper686

Chopper686

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
HI Phillpower2,

I restarted the computer after I deleted existing settings on DV, I did this around 30 minutes ago after the computer had been on for 32 hours or so. As far as I am aware there was no crashes at all, (I slept sometimes so I can't be 100% sure).

Where do we go from here?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello Chopper686

Please check the time and date of any dump file to see when it happened, search c:\windows\minidump if there is a dump file produced during the 32 hours or so testing time please attach it to your next reply, if there is no dump file that meets that criteria as per my reply #25 see how the computer behaves in normal use please.

Chopper686

Chopper686

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

search c:\windows\minidump if there is a dump file produced during the 32 hours or so

I seached for c:\windows\minidump however I received the message "Windows cannot find 'c:\windows\minidump'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Please ensure that crash dumps are enabled on your computer, see here

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel (Start>Control Panel in Vista).
2. Double-click System.
3. Click (Advanced system settings link in Vista, then --->)the Advanced tab, and then click Settings under Startup and Recovery.
4. Make sure, there is a checkmark in Write an event to the system log.
5. In the Write debugging information list, click Small memory dump (64k).

Chopper686

Chopper686

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Mine was exactly the same as the settings on the link, just instead of windows 8, I have windows 7. Also, instead of automatic dump, mine is kernal memory dump.