Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to Join Domain.. Please Help

• Please log in to reply

Djr22192

Djr22192

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Anyone Please Help???

I have one virtual server that I cannot get to join the domain. Every time I try to join it to the domain it states issues with DNS. (It seems like as soon as I put my domain in and select OK, it immediately states that error without out even trying to join.)

I know DNS is fine due to the other machines that are on the domain. I verified DNS and the gateway setting are identical to the other Virtual machines on the domain. The network settings are correct and I can get out to the web but just cant join it to the domain.

What troubleshooting steps can I take to resolve this issue with this one virtual machine?

Advertisements

puppet9999

puppet9999

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Anyone Please Help???

I have one virtual server that I cannot get to join the domain. Every time I try to join it to the domain it states issues with DNS. (It seems like as soon as I put my domain in and select OK, it immediately states that error without out even trying to join.)

I know DNS is fine due to the other machines that are on the domain. I verified DNS and the gateway setting are identical to the other Virtual machines on the domain. The network settings are correct and I can get out to the web but just cant join it to the domain.

What troubleshooting steps can I take to resolve this issue with this one virtual machine?

From your description, it sounds like the domain controller is ping-able/reachable.
Rename the Windows VM to something unique . Confirm the DNS settings the VM has. The DNS servers it uses should be an internal AD DNS server. Remove any public DNS servers from the ip dns configuration.

Djr22192

Djr22192

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
puppet9999,

I verified all the network configuration settings to a the other VM's that are working correctly.

I also did an DNSFlush and register to the VM that I cannot get on the Domain. It seems like the VM doesn't even attempt to connect to the domain because as soon as I put the domain name in and click OK it immediately pops up with that error.

puppet9999

puppet9999

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
did you change the vm's hostname?
Is the DC pingable form the vm ? is NetBIOS enabled? disable ipv6 . that quick failure leads me to believe it's attempted to connect to the DC is blocked/stopped immediately.
anything in the event log of the vm?

is the hypervisor VMware (not that it would make a huge difference) however if there is more than one vm network and multiple vlans, things can be selected incorrectly when setting up the vm's networking.

puppet9999

puppet9999

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Additionally, are you providing the appropriate domain credentials? A domain admin can add computers to the domain. You described a fast failure when you try to make the VM a member of the domain. The wrong account will cause this too as it is immediately rejected for not having the right group membership.