Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrading Mini Tower ACER Failed

• Please log in to reply

Mortest

Mortest

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello there, friends. Thank you for your interest in reading this.
I tried to upgrade my cousins computer which were a Acer XC600. I looked at the small mini components and I thought to myself that these look exactly like those mini components which are actually available to buy everywhere so I thought some upgrades wouldn't be a problem at all. How wrong were I for thinking that way...

My cousin had Acer Aspire XC600 with components of:
Intel Core I5 3330 3.0 Ghz (Could not find more specific information regarding CPU in this ACER-setup)
VGA CARD RADEON HD7470 2GB SDDR3 64BIT DVI- I + HDMI LP
H61 INTEL 82579V GBE Motherboard ACER
MEMORY KINGSTON DDR3 2GB x2
Power Supply 220W

More information regarding the parts in this ACER build which we have can be found here PAGE 95-106:
http://www.manualsli...?page=95#manual

What I wanted to do was to upgrade:
1. Power Supply to (Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze)
2. Graphics card to (Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB OC (Bonaire XTX))
3. Computer case to (Aerocool Strike X One)

I installed the old parts from the ACER ASPIRE XC600 in to the new computer case except the power supply and the graphics card. One important note here is that there is no input for monitor in to the motherboard because the HDMI and DVI input are close in black plastic cover and onboard graphics are automatic disabled. I've installed all cables needed for the computer and I've put in the power connector to the graphics card and when I start, the fans and everything starts up (computer fan, cpu fan, graphics card fan) but there is no sign of signal coming through to the monitors. I had two monitors to try and both did not work. I tried different cables DVI, the blue monitor cable, HDMI and I've tried to uncover the motherboard inputs and tried putting in the cables in there but with no success.

Of course, I uninstalled all old drivers and tried doing the same procedure but with no success there either. Computer starts up but the monitors are not showing any sign of signals coming through... My first thought is that the motherboard does not support a new GPU installment. I try to go in to the BIOS and see if there's something to change there. I find nothing of use except two things... "Advanced chipset configuration>Primary Video>Auto" (GREYED OUT, CAN NOT CHANGE VALUE), "Integrated Peripherals>Onboard Graphics Controller>Disabled" (GREYED OUT, CAN NOT CHANGE VALUE) so I'm stuck in BIOS and can't do anything with onboard graphics. I try to find solutions online about BIOS updates and so on but there's not any update which changes any settings in BIOS at all.

The only way I'm able to use the computer is if I change the graphics card to the old one which is why I am able to enter BIOS and look online for solutions. I have tried installing drivers from ACER website so that onboard graphics can be installed but the setups could never find any hardware or the right specifications. The only thing I have left to do is to CLEAR CMOS and configuring the ME on the motherboard. Do you guys have any advice or any insight on what I can do? I am stuck and I feel bad for my cousin who were so happy for his new parts. Any suggestions on what to do is very appreciated from both me and my cousin. Thank you.

Edit: One important note is that after the first starts of the computer with the new graphics card, everything was working wonderfully but with no monitor display at all. After some starts of the computer and some changes made to cables and so on, the computer starts and turns off directly after. I try to turn off the switch from the power supply side and I turn it on and immediately the computer starts and turns off again. I do the same procedure, over and over again but same thing happens. I now do the same procedure but try to press the switch button to start the computer from the front while the turn off/turn on thingy happens and the same thing continues to happens. It turns on and then turns off. I changed everything back to the old computer with the old cables and everything and the computer started to work again, no problem at all. I then took everything back to the new computer case with the new parts and it could start there again with no problem at all. Same thing happens one time again where the computer starts and turns off immediately after and I do the same procedure, changing it back to the old one and the computer works but I'm suspecting that it's a cable issue made by me somewhere which I haven't found yet but I don't think it has nothing to do with my first issue. I just think it's me plugging in maybe one cable at somewhere in the motherboard which the motherboard does not like or something like that but it is worth mentioning, if it helps.

Thank you for reading, if you did read it all. I appreciate it with all my heart.
Take care and have a great day, my friends.
Estephan

Edited by Mortest, 04 January 2014 - 05:33 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
:welcome: Mortest

Sorry to hear that you are having problems with the upgrade :(

Initially did you connect the 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector from the PSU to the video card.

When doing a new build or an upgrade that involves moving the MB into another case it is best practice to do a barebones set up outside of the case, this confirms whether or not all new hardware is working or not, please see my canned text below for "how to"

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, screen, the 4GB of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding another component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.

Be sure that you connect the 75 Watt 6-pin PCI Express power connector from the PSU to the video card.

Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason, make sure the jumper cap that can be used for clearing the CMOS is not missing or on the wrong pins and finally try removing the CMOS battery for a few moments and then replace it, this will clear any possible bad MB settings.

Mortest

Mortest

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you, dear phillpower2 for your reply. I appreciate it very much!

I did connect the 6-pin PCI-E power connector and I've tried without it also but with no success. I also tried another older graphics card but I got the same results as with the new one which is (not able to see anything on the monitor). The only thing which works so that I can see on the monitor is when the original graphics card is on the motherboard (RADEON HD 7470). I will try later today with your suggestion of barebones set-up and I will see what happens there, very interesting suggestion, thank you and I'll also try another PSU to see what happens. If this is not working, I'm thinking maybe it is because the BIOS or motherboard from ACER is locked and it is maybe locked on this specific graphics card (RADEON HD 7470) because this ACER is a pre-built computer. Is it possible that this can happen? That the motherboard is locked onto a specific graphics card? I tried to clear the CMOS and I also took out the battery and put it back on but with no success there either. If I did buy a new motherboard, is it possible that the CPU (Intel I5-3330) is also locked like the motherboard and it will not work with a new motherboard?

Thanks again!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
Hello Mortest

I did connect the 6-pin PCI-E power connector and I've tried without it also but with no success.

You will definitely not get a signal if the required supplemental power supply is not attached.

I also tried another older graphics card but I got the same results

What type of card is it.
Do you know for certain that the older card works.

If this is not working, I'm thinking maybe it is because the BIOS or motherboard from ACER is locked and it is maybe locked on this specific graphics card (RADEON HD 7470) because this ACER is a pre-built computer

This is not likely as this would rule out upgrade options which would deter potential purchasers from buying the computer.

If I did buy a new motherboard, is it possible that the CPU (Intel I5-3330) is also locked like the motherboard and it will not work with a new motherboard?

Please do not purchase another MB unless there is a problem with the present one that cannot be put right.

We will wait on an update from you before any further suggestions are made.

You are welcome btw :)

Mortest

Mortest

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi dear phillpower2!

Just a quick update here. I tried with my own working PSU Corsair 500W and my own Graphics Card GeForce 550 TI but with no success there either so I guessed that it had to do with the motherboard. I ordered a new motherboard with the same chipset and when it arrived today, I installed the new motherboard and everything else on to the motherboard and to my surprise, it finally worked. The CPU fan was running like crazy and it worried me a little bit since I thought I installed it wrong but with a little change in the BIOS it was all working fine again, the fan was set on highest level, hmm... Well, now at least everything works and my cousin is playing his games with much joy. I'm thinking back now and I think that the old motherboard was locked and it did not want to output any signal to any other graphics card than the one that came with the XC600. I'm now officially going to stay away from upgrading brand-named computers since it always has problems everytime when I try, lol.

Thank you so much again, phillpower2 for your support. You've learned me many new things! You are the best!
Have a great day!
Mortest

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
Thank you for your kind words and a most positive update Mortest :thumbsup:

A job well done on your behalf :yes:

Wake-fin

Wake-fin

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

It seems I have entered the same situation as you. Tried to install a new graphics card to acer XC600 which is my girlfriends little brothers.
He saved money for a long time to get new gpu card.

So the first mistake was to buy a bigger case and power supply so the gpu card would fit.
Then it turned out that acer motherboard truly is locked from using better gpu-cards. (Lots of greyed options in BIOS)
Had the same symptoms as you, no signal when gpu is in place. Not even intergrated graphics didn't work.

So then I tested if the graphic card was damaged, nope, worked like a charm in my own built-in PC.

Could you tell me what kind of motherboard you bought?
Now I will have to think whether to buy a new motherboard or just return the graphics card to store.
Im also afraid if the cpu is locked also. Not to work in new motherboard. :D Can they even do that?

Thank you for this thread. Opened my eyes to not to buy any OEM computer ever!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
:welcome: Wake-fin

I did some follow up research on this at the time and have since checked to see if Acer has released a BIOS update to remedy this issue, to date it would appear that they have not :(

One article that I read stated that if an add on card was fitted you would not be able to see the BIOS screen/s on boot up but the add on video card would work once POST had completed and the Windows generic video drivers had loaded, the Windows log in screen would then display, this if it does work is not ideal as you are effectively locked out of the BIOS when an add on card is fitted.

Found the information that I mentioned above, courtesy of the BIOS - Mod forums

Edited by phillpower2, 16 February 2014 - 05:36 AM.
Link added

Mortest

Mortest

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello there, Wake-fin!

Well, the problem was always the motherboard for me with the XC600. The processor was not locked at all, the only thing you need to keep in mind is to have the right socket in the new motherboard as the processor from the XC600 to make it fit. My cousin have been using his new computer for a while now without any problems at all, the things he needed to change was: Motherboard, graphics card, PSU and a larger computer case. The motherboard we bought was called: ASUS H61M-PLUS - mATX / H61. We also thought about buying ASRock H61M-DGS - mATX / H61 / DDR3 but since I've had good experiences with ASUS, we bought the ASUS one instead but that's just my own opinion. I'm sure that both will work fine or any motherboard in that socket will work fine. As I said just make sure that it is the right socket as the processor from the XC600. It did work for me without any problems but that doesn't mean that it's 100% sure that it'll work for you too. When I bought the new motherboard I took a big chance because it could either work or not but luckily for me it worked without problems! I'm kind of sure that it'll work for you too but as I said it's not 100% sure.

I hope things will work out good for you, my friend. Trust your instincts, lol.
Take care and good luck!

Mortest

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge with us Mortest :thumbsup:

DaemonFC

DaemonFC

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Hi there.

I know that this is an old post, but I solved a similar problem with my Acer Predator G3-605 computer.

It turns out that for many graphics cards, you need to disable Secure Boot in the uEFI firmware setup and set it to launch some old BIOS compatibility interfaces on startup to bring up the graphics card.

When the computer turns on and you see the Acer logo, hit delete to go into the setup program for the firmware. turn Secure Boot to Disabled and then change Launch CSM to Always, and then save changes and exit. When the computer reboots into Windows, shut down the computer, unplug it, install the new graphics card, and turn it back on, and you should have video out.

When the computer boots up, remove the old graphics drivers if you switched card vendors and install the vendor's drivers for your new card.

I had this problem when I wanted to take out the RadeonHD "8760 OEM" (a rebadged 7770 Ghz Edition for OEMs) and replace it with my EVGA Geforce GTX 560 SC that I had in my older computer. The procedure I just laid out fixed it.

Edited by DaemonFC, 05 August 2014 - 02:19 AM.

DaemonFC

DaemonFC

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I didn't look too closely when I was in there, but I'd imagine that Acer saves a few dollars and avoids customers calling in to their support line ("I plugged the monitor cable in and nothing happened!") by not putting integrated video hookups onto their motherboard.

The problem is that if the card that came with the computer goes out, what do you do? You can't replace the card with Secure Boot on and CSM disabled, because you won't get video out, so you can't see what you're doing in the BIOS at that point. And since you can't buy the exact Radeon model that comes with the computer, you can't slap another card of that type in and keep using the computer.