Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop failing

• Please log in to reply

jhey0214

jhey0214

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi geeks2go

Im so frustrated right now trying to fix my laptop but I couldnt. It started two days ago while playing my game and it crashed on me couple of times, even now.
I tried to reinstalled everything even windows 7 thinking, It might help but no. My laptop fan for graphic driver just turns on by itself without even pressing the button for it.
I've had blue screen which said "Driver power state failure" so I've searched it online for solutions (http://www.sevenforu...structions.html)
I tried and I got the diagnostic files which im gonna upload if it helps.
By the way I installed Intel Graphic then when I installed Nvidia driver, It crashes on me. Sometimes It wouldnt let me log on. Before It crashes, my fan turns on by itself.
Pls help me... I dont know what to do :help:

Theres an attached file, hope it helps.

PS. I just installed one of my games again without the Nvidia Graphic driver. It worked fine. No crashes.

Attached Files

Edited by jhey0214, 05 January 2014 - 02:50 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hello jhey0214

Is your switchable graphics enabled in the BIOS.

An article here regarding the Intel 4000 drivers and conflicts with various switchable graphics cards, there are a couple of suggestions along the way that have worked for some people.

jhey0214

jhey0214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi! thx for the reply...
I believe its enabled since when I still had the Nvidia control panel, i saw that there were intel and nvidia graphics i can switch around but, I took a picture of the BIOS thingy
and I didn't find where the graphic enable thing is. I attached the pictures if you wanna see. Maybe I went to the wrong one idk.

I keep trying to reinstall the nvidia driver, but its doing the same thing... First the fan turns on then in a couple of minutes, I would get the Blue screen saying "driver state power failure"
But then, when i uninstall it, I can use my laptop freely without any errors just using the Intel 4000.

Tell me what should I do next. Ill do whatever I can!

Here are the images, couldnt attach its too big
http://imgur.com/a/LSyvw#2

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Is the computer still under warranty.

Do you have the user manuals.

jhey0214

jhey0214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Sorry no its not under warranty anymore

I have the service manual

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Switchable graphics are meant to do just that automatically when they are called upon by a demanding game or video.

Is there a troubleshooting guide in your manual.

Can you run DriverView and copy/paste the results into your next reply, details here

jhey0214

jhey0214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
no troubleshooting sorry just installation steps
and i attached the view

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
No Nvidea drivers of any kind installed, there are Intel and Microsoft`s generic video drivers present though.

Have you tried uninstalling the Intel video drivers and installing the Nvidea video drivers, if yes what happened please.

jhey0214

jhey0214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ive installed nvidia just like a lot of times, but still giving me blue screens thats why i uninstalled it.
But when I uninstall Nvidia and run a game with intel, everything is fine. Im still playing a game for hours now and still no errors.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
To see if we can identify any driver conflicts please refer to the copy/paste details below provided courtesy of jcgriff2 :thumbsup:

1. Create a Windows System Restore Point -
Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"

2. Run the Driver Verifier -
Go to START | type verifier | make these selections -

1. Select 2nd option - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
2. Select 2nd option - "Select individual settings from a full list"
3. Check these boxes -▪ Special Pool
▪ Pool Tracking
▪ Force IRQL checking
▪ Deadlock Detection
▪ Security Checks (new as of Windows 7)
▪ Concurrency Stress Test (new as of Windows 8)
▪ DDI compliance checking (new as of Windows 8)
▪ Miscellaneous Checks4. Select last option - "Select driver names from a list"
5. Click on the Provider heading - sorts list by Provider
6. Check ALL boxes where "Microsoft" IS NOT the Provider
7. Click on Finish
8. Re-boot*** IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ:

- If the Driver Verifier (DV) finds a violation, it will result in a BSOD

- After re-start, you may not be able to log on to normal Windows
... • Boot into SAFEMODE - tap the F8 key repeatedly during boot-up
... • Select "System Restore"
... • Choose the restore point that you created in step #1

- For Driver Verifier status
--- select last option, 1st screen -or-
--- type verifier /query (in a cmd/DOS screen)
- To turn Driver Verifier off - verifier /reset then re-boot

- The Driver Verifier needs to run as long as possible - even if the status screen appears clear.
- All future BSOD dumps must be VERIFIER_ENABLED_MINIDUMPs - otherwise the dump(s) are of no use

If your system does BSOD while the Driver Verifier is running, please retrieve the dump file from c:\windows\minidump and attach it to your next reply.

Advertisements

jhey0214

jhey0214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi, Sorry late reply... I did what you said.
Ok so first I reinstalled my latest graphic driver for nvidia. It made me crash again.
Second Idk if the driver was running but I did it step by step.
I did the verifier without Nvidia, didnt get BSOD
I did the verifier with Nvidia, It did the BSOD like the BSOD im getting before without verifier.

I attached them, even the drivier viewer txt.

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
The cause of the BSOD;

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: X64_0x9F_3_ACPI_IMAGE_pci.sys

Please use the following method to re-install an older version of the Nvidea drivers.

First, disable Verifier -> Start Menu -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Right click Command Prompt -> Type the following command followed by Enter:
verifier /reset -> Restart your computer

Download an earlier version of the Nvidea drivers for your display card
Check for any remnants of the present Nvidea display drivers
Click Start Menu
Click Control Panel
Click Uninstall a program
For NVIDIA:
Uninstall the NVIDIA Graphics Driver (this should uninstall all NVIDIA software and drivers)
Restart your computer
Make sure NVIDIA 3D Vision Driver, NVIDIA 3D Vision Video Player, NVIDIA HD Audio Driver, and NVIDIA PhysX System Software are not still listed under Uninstall a program through Control Panel
If any remain of the above, uninstall one at a time
If asked to restart after uninstalling any of the above, do so, and continue uninstalling any remaining NVIDIA items until all are removed
Restart your computer after uninstalling any drivers for the Nvidea display card
Install the saved driver for the display card once Windows starts

See how it goes.

jhey0214

jhey0214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi Phil,

I did what you said step by step, still the same.
Verifier /reset, then I uninstalled all the Nvidia then restarted.
I installed the earlier version of nvidia. Restarted but when I got on, its the same after like 10-15 mins I crashed.
I had the disc that came with the laptop, It had the nvidia driver, I installed it, when I restarted It wouldn't let me start up windows.

I'm gonna attach the dump file with the first earlier nvidia version I installed.
Hope it helps...

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Apologies for the delay jhey0214, been scouring the internet for the following https://app.box.com/shared/v7jpoateoq

From the information that we have in both your dump files the pci.sys is indeed related to the Nvidea drivers, what I found is that Nvidea uses something called Powermizer which is intended to conserve power/battery life in notebooks, this is fine in theory but not when you have switchable graphics which are intended to improve gaming/video quality.

Create a new restore point first of all and then try turning off the Nvidea powermizer feature by using Powermizer switch from here

jhey0214

jhey0214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Np, sorry for late reply as well, I was cooking lol...

Ill try this then ill let you know in a bit.