Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bitdender 2014 vs Norton 2014

• Please log in to reply

Crypto

Crypto

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone from a Newbie.
I hope this post is in the correct forum.

My current internet security will expire in 2 weeks. I currently have Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 and would like to upgrade to v2014, but unfortunately, I cannot properly install v2014 as the GUI will not load. I have tried various solutions offered from the Kaspersky forum, but no luck.

I would like to know from you guys which Internet Security suite I should buy: Bitdefender Internet Security 2014 or Norton Internet Security 2014.

I have used a trial version of both of them for 2 weeks each and found both of them excellent, but unsure which one to go for.

I use online banking, ebay, facebook and of course, general surfing.

Any thoughts and opinions will be appreciated.

My Desktop pc specs are:

Win 7 64bit
4 GB Ram
3.20 GHz

Thanks!

Edited by Crypto, 06 January 2014 - 12:22 AM.

Advertisements

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Hi Crypto. Ooh this is a tough one, everyone has their own opinions on which Av software is the most kickbutt. For the last 4 years I've been using Kaspersky, and only 1 time has it let through a small virus, but even that was handled within 1 day.
On the other hand Norton is from my experience just all Hype, I never liked it, they focus too much on making it look pretty, and not enough time on updating it and making it the best. I have never used Bitdefender.
Something else I will say, I fix and send computers to friends, orphanages, and schools in Ukraine and Russia, and for them I use the free version of Avira. I find it works good, very good indeed. I set it to update by itself everyday, it does it without asking for any input or anything, and to my delight, only 1 computer out of 28 has had any type of major virus activity that wasn't able to be demolished by Avira. Have you tried Avira? I'm just guessing, but I think the paid version would probably be even better.
Have you tried asking for help from Kaspersky about your problem on Twitter? I've had the most luck with them on Twitter.

Hope this helps

Edited by BearCavalry, 20 January 2014 - 01:29 AM.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
Hey Crypto,

I do agree with BearCavakry in the following points;

Norton is just all Hype, I never liked it.

Avira. I find it works good, very good indeed.

My personal opinion of Norton is that it shouldn't be sold at all in fact should be wiped of the face of the earth. I was using Avira when I was waiting to my Kaspersky Pure 3.0, this worked well. No virus's on my laptop from changing from AVG.

Now that I have Kaspersky I personally wouldn't change, I love the software to much, and I know I'm more secure. However, to your problem:

My current internet security will expire in 2 weeks. I currently have Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 and would like to upgrade to v2014, but unfortunately, I cannot properly install v2014 as the GUI will not load. I have tried various solutions offered from the Kaspersky forum, but no luck.

Have you tried running Crap Cleaner, just to get ride of the crap, then try and reinstall it?

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Have you tried running Crap Cleaner, just to get ride of the crap, then try and reinstall it?

This is a good point, did you uninstall the previous version using a special program that gets rid of all the left over folders and registry entries?
I uninstall everything with REVO Uninstaller, and then do an advanced scan on everything to get rid of all the related garbage. Maybe this Crap Cleaner does the same thing.

KiwiProbie

KiwiProbie

• PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

I uninstall everything with REVO Uninstaller, and then do an advanced scan on everything to get rid of all the related garbage.

REVO only remove anything to do with the software completely

Maybe this Crap Cleaner does the same thing.

Crap cleaner cleans:

Cleans all areas of your Computer
Internet Explorer

Internet Explorer
Temporary files, history, cookies, Autocomplete form history, index.dat.
Firefox

Firefox
Temporary files, history, cookies, download history, form history.
Google Chrome

Google Chrome
Opera

Opera
Temporary files, history, cookies.
Apple Safari

Safari
Temporary files, history, cookies, form history.
Windows

Windows
Recycle Bin, Recent Documents, Temporary files and Log files.

BearCavalry

BearCavalry

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

I uninstall everything with REVO Uninstaller, and then do an advanced scan on everything to get rid of all the related garbage.

REVO only remove anything to do with the software completely

Maybe this Crap Cleaner does the same thing.

Crap cleaner cleans:

Cleans all areas of your Computer
Internet Explorer

Internet Explorer
Temporary files, history, cookies, Autocomplete form history, index.dat.
Firefox

Firefox
Google Chrome

Google Chrome
Opera

Opera
Temporary files, history, cookies.
Apple Safari

Safari
Temporary files, history, cookies, form history.
Windows

Windows
Recycle Bin, Recent Documents, Temporary files and Log files.

WOW! cool! I now love "Crap Cleaner"!!! :lol: