Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop will not restart

• Please log in to reply

heather27

heather27

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a Toshiba Satellite c655-s5225 Part #PSC08U-06P038 that will not boot up. II use windows 7 OS. I have tried almost everything. it was working fine last night and was running the Malware Antispyware Program and deleted a few items that said was harmful and then asked me to restart my laptop. I did that and now it will not boot up. It gives me the options of system restore and start windows normally. None of which will work. I have also treid the system restore to a previous time with no success for 2 different restore points. I have tried the option of starting it at the last good configuration with no success. It didnt come with a disk or anything when i bought it new. It will not run in safe mode either. I can get to the advanced boot settings too but as i said nothing has worked. I can see the Toshiba Recovery Wizard but wasn't sure to do that yet as I wanted to see if there was anything else I could do.

Also when I start up it gives me the blue screen with initialiazation startup failed error. And 0x000006b error. I have also done the memory test and it was ok. The details for the failed startup repair is
Problem Event :StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 1: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 2: 6.17600.16385
Problem Signature 3 unknown
Problem Signature 4: 21200364
Problem Signature 5: autofailover
Problem Signature 6: 11
Problem Signature 7:0x6b

I had problems with this laptop a few months ago with boot up issues and the person i had fix it says it was caused by a windows update and he turned the auto updates off then. but also before that and even before this happened when i would try to open microsoft excel or word it would give me the error sftldr_wow64.dll missing. i never could get that to fix even with uninstalling the office start up program and reinstalling so i have no idea if they are connected or not.

i have tried to include everything i can think of that i have done but if there's anything else i can add please let me know. im at a loss of what to do and am not computer savvy so any help would be appreciated.

thank you

Advertisements

RichAndFamous

RichAndFamous

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Do you have any important documents on your computer that you don't want to risk losing? If you don't, you should factory reset it and start from scratch.

heather27

heather27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
No I don't really. Any pictures I have are on my phone or in another photo site. So I wouldn't be losing anything that couldn't be replaced

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You can restore to factory state (Out Of Box state): See User's Guide for Satellite C640/C650 Series

You can recover the original factory image (returning the computer
to its out-of-box state) using the utilities stored on your computer’s
internal storage drive or using recovery DVDs/media, if you have
created such media. To recover using the first method, follow the
procedure below. To recover using the second method, see
“Restoring from recovery DVDs/media” on page 71.
To recover the original factory image using the utilities on your
computer’s internal storage drive:
1 Make sure the computer is turned off.
2 Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard while
powering on the computer.
3 If your system offers a choice of Windows® 7 32-bit or 64-bit
operating system, select one at this time. If not, skip to step 4.
4 A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is
executed all data will be deleted and rewritten. Click Yes to
continue.
5 When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens and the Selecting a
process screen displays, select Recovery of Factory Default
Software and then click Next.
6 The Recovery of Factory Default Software screen appears.
Select Recover to out-of-box state.
7 Click Next.
A confirmation message displays reminding you that all data
will be lost during the recovery process. Be sure to save your
work to external media before proceeding (see “Backing up
your work” on page 105).
8 Click Next to begin the recovery.
When the process is complete, a message displays indicating
that the internal storage drive has been recovered.
9 Press any key on the keyboard to restart the computer.

shaolinn

shaolinn

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Ztruker beat me to it. His option is the quickest and easiest way if you do not want to recover any of your data.

Another option would be to read this article http://answers.micro...58-ad5e70ae21be ; however, if startup repair does not work it will involve allot of a trial and error and considering you have nothing you really want to recover a clean install is your quickest bet.

Edited by shaolinn, 06 January 2014 - 05:20 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You could also go this router which actually gives you a better install because it leaves out all the bloatware.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation DVD, or it's not up to the Service Pack level currently installed, you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here:

Windows 7 Direct Download Links

Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file. Just be careful during the install not to accidentally install some of the bundled junk that comes with it. Always take The Custom Install option.

You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.

YOU MUST HAVE A VALID KEY TO INSTALL THIS .ISO.

The one on the COA sticker on your computer will work.

You can also create a bootable USB Flash drive (4GB or larger) to install Windows 7 from.
  • Download and run Universal USB Installer Easy as 1 2 3
  • Select Windows 7 from the first drop down list, all the way to the bottom
  • Select the downloaded Windows 7 iso file
  • Select your USB flash drive
  • Click Create
For techies or folks who work on computers:

Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility.

This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.

heather27

heather27

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you all for all the help and advice. I do appreciate it alot. I did the restore to factory settings option (out of box state) and it worked thank goodness and is working so far.

Thanks again for the advice