Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

registry restore

• Please log in to reply

nolacs22

nolacs22

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I used ccleaner and I saved them in documents how do I put them back or merge? This is my first major mistake, can anyone help?

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Open Computer.
Browse to C:\Users\<youraccountname>\Documents.
The backup files will be like this: cc_20131223_110540.reg

Pick the one with the date you need, probably today.
Double click on it and allow it to merge into the registry.
Reboot and you should be set.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
If you mean you used the registry cleaner in CCleaner and saved a backup, then right click the backup and select merge.

That will put back what you removed from the registry.

Always make a full registry backup and system restore, open regedit when it is highlighted on computer right click it and select export, save to desired folder.

Hope this helps.....

Babbzzz

Babbzzz

Writing Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
Hello :)

I suggest you stay away from all Registry Cleaners as they cause more problems than they can fix.

CCleaner is a fine program to Clean temporary files and free up some space. But, skip the Registry Cleaning part.

EDIT: You might be interested to in reading http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

Edited by Babbzzz, 08 January 2014 - 06:40 PM.

nolacs22

nolacs22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Open Computer.
Browse to C:\Users\<youraccountname>\Documents.
The backup files will be like this: cc_20131223_110540.reg

Pick the one with the date you need, probably today.
Double click on it and allow it to merge into the registry.
Reboot and you should be set.

I hope i am replying in the correct place.And yes,i have it squared away now.Thank you for your timely reply!Is there a kudos that i click on?

nolacs22

nolacs22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

I suggest you stay away from all Registry Cleaners as they cause more problems than they can fix.

CCleaner is a fine program to Clean temporary files and free up some space. But, skip the Registry Cleaning part.

Thank you! and i learned my lesson here,luckily not the hard way.

nolacs22

nolacs22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

If you mean you used the registry cleaner in CCleaner and saved a backup, then right click the backup and select merge.

That will put back what you removed from the registry.

Always make a full registry backup and system restore, open regedit when it is highlighted on computer right click it and select export, save to desired folder.

Hope this helps.....

Thank you, i made recovery discs,but this restore point thing i don't have down yet.

jds63

jds63

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

I agree with this, registry cleaners cause more harm then good, unless you really know and have the experience on what you are doing and removing.

As said backup registry first if you do.

System restore is easy to learn how to do and can save you from a mistake or changes you made that might make your PC unstable.

In control panel make sure system restore is turned on first, click configure set to ,turn on system restore, if more one drive do for both.

In control panel again under system, make sure the c: drive (system) were operating system is installed is highlighted, then click on create and type a name to it, a date or something to make you remember when it was made and for what it was made for, click o.k.

System restore points are automatically made when you install or uninstall software.

Mattering to what operating system you have,Windows 8 has refresh and reset also, i was not sure you never listed it.

Edited by jds63, 07 January 2014 - 08:31 PM.

Babbzzz

Babbzzz

Writing Staff

• PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

I think, registry cannot be restored. It is deleted for only one time.

Hello jaheen100 :)

You're wrong there. If you have made a Registry Backup, you can always restore it.

See: How to back up and restore the Windows registry