Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Local Area Connection" doesn't have valid IP configuratio

• Please log in to reply

Frank142

Frank142

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello all. This morning there were high winds in the area and we lost services for some time. Once they came back I started setting up my router once again. All my wireless devices can connect to my network without an issue, but my gaming desktop which is connected by an ethernet cable cannot find the network.

I contacted my ISP and we went through some solutions, but none of them worked. When I do a Windows diagnostic, the result comes up as "Local Area Connection" doesn't have valid IP configuration. The technician made me go through some commands in Command Prompt (I don't remember the names) but to no avail. He concluded that there must be an issue with my network driver and we ended the call. With another device I downloaded the latest drivers from the Asus website (I have a Z87-A) and installed them on my machine, but nothing worked.

I use Windows 7 64-bit. Any help is appreciated and thank you very much.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi Frank :welcome:

I have a strange suggestion for you but its something that solved problems several times...

Disconnect the power cord from the outlet and then press the Power Button two times for electrical discharge all the energy from the computer.

Reconnect the power cord and start the computer, check if the problem is solved.

puppet9999

puppet9999

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Check that your network cable is completely in the Ethernet interface ports, the computer side and the router/switch side. Switch the cable with a known good spare if you have one. Swicth to a different port on the router/switch if there's is another spare port.

Since you lost services due to high winds, I suspect you lost power too - the computer abruptly turned off / rebooted. . Causing a possible corruption of the file system. Have your computer run a disk check at next boot-up. Scheduling this can be accomplished by opening a command and typing chkdsk c: /f you will be asked if you want a disk check scheduled next time the computer restarts - answer yes.

Let the scan complete. The length of time it takes to complete varies.
Once the computer boots if you not connected to the network and internet yet, open device manager and remove the network card by selecting it > right clicking > and choosing uninstall. Immediately reboot the computer. The network card will be re-discovered and re-added to the list of devices.

Frank142

Frank142

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for the solutions, but unfortunately none of them worked thus far. It appears that the IP address on my network card does not match that of my router/modem. I don't know if this can help you in your diagnosis.

EDIT: I've attempted a system restore, but this has also not fixed the issue.

Edited by Frank142, 06 January 2014 - 10:35 PM.

puppet9999

puppet9999

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
What is the ip address on the network card?

If you don't know how to get this then follow these steps.
Open a command prompt and enter the command ipconfig /all and hit enter .
Copy and paste or take a screen capture of the output of the command .

If you don't know how to copy form a command prompt window do the following:
To copy form a command window click on the in the upper left corner on the black image/icon that looks like a command window, you should get a menu. Select edit from the menu then from the submenu menu choose select all. The window will turn white, click on in the upper left corner again (while the contents of the window is selected and all white) but this time choose Edit from the menu and then Copy from the seb-menu.

Frank142

Frank142

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Because I'm using using two different machines, one of which can't connect to the internet, I can't post a prntscrn of the command prompt, but the IP return I'm getting is 169.254.249.171, though from my understanding, it should be closer to the default D-link IP of 192.168.0.1

puppet9999

puppet9999

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Yes, that is correct. The 169.x.x.x address is not a valid address.
The computer is either not getting an ip address from a working dhcp server or the dhcp server is not longer running.
If you are sure the router's ip address is 192.168.0.1, you can add a static address to your computer.
What is the model router? You stated that you were setting up the router again after the wind storm and loss of power.

Also;
Did you run chckdsk?
Did you remove the network interface card from the device manager, reboot after that.
Change cable?
Change ports the computer connects to?

Frank142

Frank142

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have run the chkdsk, I have removed the network card and rebooted, I have changed cable and I have changed ports. I've also done router and modem resets.

My router is a D-link DIR-601, it's default IP address is 192.168.0.1. I've attempted to give my desktop a static IP address of 192.168.0.111, but this also didn't work.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

Lets take a look, I need you to use the working computer to download a file and transfer to the bad one using a flash drive.

Download MiniToolBox and save the file to the flash drive.
Insert the flash drive on the problematic computer and run MiniToolBox, check the following options:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices (Only Problems)
Click on Go.

Post the resulting log in your next reply.

Frank142

Frank142

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Here you go.

This morning I've attempted a 30 second reset of the router, nothing has changed.

EDIT: I tried plugging directly into the modem. The connection works fine when I do this.

EDIT 2: My connection works now. What I did is disconnect all the ethernet cables from my router and then plug in only the ones I used (there were 2 computers that don't work connected to the router). This resolved the issue. However, when I replugged the cables, the connection was lost again. I don't know what could have caused this, but since the two devices aren't used, I'm going to leave those cables loose. Thank you for your help anyways!

Attached Files

Edited by Frank142, 07 January 2014 - 10:27 AM.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

God Job discovering the problem source. :thumbsup:

Most likely one of those cables is bad also make sure its not the same cable with both ends connected to the router.