Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mystery Issue: xpcom.dll missing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

gldawg

gldawg

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hey all,
I cannot figure this out. When I open itunes (about every 3rd or 4th time) or adobe acrobat reader (8th or 9th time) I get this error message: "This program can't start because xpcom.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

See the screen shot attached.

When I click "ok" the message disappears and returns. I have to click about 8 times and then itunes or adobe opens. I have reinstalled itunes, adobe, and mozilla firefox. I have thoroughly checked my computer for any malware and viruses, there were some but its all clean now.

Anyone got something for this????

G

Attached Thumbnails

• post-154007-0-72300100-1388954770.jpg

Edited by gldawg, 07 January 2014 - 11:01 PM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Sometimes reinstalling the program that causes the error to appear will solve the problem but since you have multiple program that triggers the error maybe you should try to run the sfc /scannow System File Checker command to replace a missing or corrupt copy of the xpcom_core.dll file. If this DLL file is provided by Microsoft, the System File Checker tool should restore it.

How to Repair Windows 7 System Files with System File Checker
http://www.sevenforu...le-checker.html

Hope that helps

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
xpcom.dll is not part of Windows, it does not exist on my computer running Windows 8 Pro X64.. Has to come with other software so I don't think sfc will help. Won't hurt though.

Just noticed on my XP client under Oracle Virtual Box, xpcom.dll is is both Firefox and SeaMonkey browser folders.

gldawg

gldawg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I ran the System File Checker tool and it found no issues...... still not sure how to approach this.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts
What files were removed when you removed the malware?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you use Firefox or Google Chrome? If so, uninstall and reinstall them one at a time, see if that fixes the problem.

gldawg

gldawg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I reinstalled both firefox and chrome, no improvement.

I've ran scans on my computer several times during the duration of this issue, but these are the pertaining detections as far as I can remember:

Memory Processes Detected: 2
C:\Program Files (x86)\SearchProtect\bin\CltMngSvc.exe (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> 5728 -> Delete on reboot.
C:\Users\Garrett Duyck\AppData\Roaming\SearchProtect\bin\cltmng.exe (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> 6708 -> Delete on reboot.

Memory Modules Detected: 3
C:\Users\Garrett Duyck\AppData\Roaming\SearchProtect\bin\InternetExplorerModule.dll (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\Users\Garrett Duyck\AppData\Roaming\SearchProtect\bin\FirefoxModule.dll (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\Users\Garrett Duyck\AppData\Roaming\SearchProtect\bin\ChromeModule.dll (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Delete on reboot.

Registry Keys Detected: 12
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CltMngSvc (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\CLSID\{10AD2C61-0898-4348-8600-14A342F22AC3} (PUP.Optional.ScorpionSaver) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{10AD2C61-0898-4348-8600-14A342F22AC3} (PUP.Optional.ScorpionSaver) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{10AD2C61-0898-4348-8600-14A342F22AC3} (PUP.Optional.ScorpionSaver) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{10AD2C61-0898-4348-8600-14A342F22AC3} (PUP.Optional.ScorpionSaver) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\CLSID\{30f06672-0e95-41a9-80cb-dee386af99ad} (PUP.Optional.Outobox.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\TypeLib\{1EB0A0B0-CABB-495C-A85A-7C8F891799C7} (PUP.Optional.Outobox.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\Interface\{B1290521-AB01-40EB-B993-AD122BEFC9E2} (PUP.Optional.Outobox.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{30F06672-0E95-41A9-80CB-DEE386AF99AD} (PUP.Optional.Outobox.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Settings\{30F06672-0E95-41A9-80CB-DEE386AF99AD} (PUP.Optional.Outobox.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{30F06672-0E95-41A9-80CB-DEE386AF99AD} (PUP.Optional.Outobox.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKCR\CLSID\{4AA46D49-459F-4358-B4D1-169048547C23} (PUP.Optional.BrowseFox.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Detected: 2
HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run|SearchProtect (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Data: C:\Users\Garrett Duyck\AppData\Roaming\SearchProtect\bin\cltmng.exe -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run|SearchProtectAll (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Data: C:\Program Files (x86)\SearchProtect\bin\cltmng.exe -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Folders Detected: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Files Detected: 8
C:\Program Files (x86)\SearchProtect\bin\CltMngSvc.exe (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Garrett Duyck\AppData\Roaming\SearchProtect\bin\cltmng.exe (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Garrett Duyck\AppData\Roaming\SearchProtect\bin\InternetExplorerModule.dll (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Garrett Duyck\AppData\Roaming\SearchProtect\bin\FirefoxModule.dll (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Garrett Duyck\AppData\Roaming\SearchProtect\bin\ChromeModule.dll (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files (x86)\SearchProtect\bin\cltmng.exe (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files (x86)\ScorpionSaver\IECore.dll (PUP.Optional.ScorpionSaver) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Program Files (x86)\outobox\outoboxBHO.dll (PUP.Optional.Outobox.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Detected: 3
C:\Users\Garrett Duyck\AppData\Local\Temp\ct3306061 (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Garrett Duyck\AppData\Local\Temp\ct3306061\plugins (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\ProgramData\Conduit\IE (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Files Detected: 6
C:\Users\Garrett Duyck\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\HS62Y4DX\checktbexist[1].exe (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Garrett Duyck\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\HS62Y4DX\SPSetup[1].exe (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Garrett Duyck\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\SV4SKMAL\Connect_DLC_5[1].exe (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Garrett Duyck\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\VH0DE03B\Connect_DLC_5[1].exe (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Garrett Duyck\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\VH0DE03B\statisticsstub[1].exe (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\Users\Garrett Duyck\AppData\Local\Temp\nshC124.exe (PUP.Optional.Conduit.A) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts
Conduit is pretty nasty lately; you may want to go over to the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal board and ask for some second opinions there. The best place to start is here.

gldawg

gldawg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I'll try there, but I already was consulted by a malware expert: https://forums.malwa...howtopic=139771

We are confident the PC is virus free, but have not found a way to resolve this issue.

dbreeze

dbreeze

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,216 posts
As I am in training here (for Malware Removal) and Geeks To Go's TOU forbids malware removal outside of the dedicated boards, I can not really say anything here. I did look at the MalwareBytes forum thread you linked to and agree that they seem to have done a nice job. But a scan with other tools may reveal some errors left over that is causing your present issue, especially if the xpcom.dll was removed improperly and the registry is corrupted (in regards to xpcom.dll) which would not allow that to be loaded properly anymore.

gldawg

gldawg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the clarification, I will continue to trek on....

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Since the error message is related to iTunes, uninstall and reinstall it, see if that helps.

gldawg

gldawg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
yeah I've tried reinstalling itunes several times.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Did you try to uninstall at the same time all the programs that causes the error (ITunes, Firefox, Adobe etc) restart your computer and then install them back one by one use the program a little to see if the error comes back this way you might see if it is a specific program that causes it for all of them or if the error occurs no matter the program.

Edited by Alzeimer, 11 January 2014 - 07:33 AM.