Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

chrome and ieexplorer messed up big time, thinking hijacked, will not

• Please log in to reply

lone_wolf1911

lone_wolf1911

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hi,
not a novice with pc's i can build them, but this is doing my nutt in.... and its on 2 laptops so hoping i dont have virsu on network
1 is mine a dell 1525 business edition, and other is a dell 1545

we have a fibre connection with 40mb D/L speed, but i can not get Google on any platform to return search results,
i.e using chrome, ieexplorer,

this stated last night, dont know why or how i'm pretty good at not going on dogey sites, normally my missus is too,
we use fully paid version of bull guard which is supposed to have anti malware and i also have paid copy of spybot...

when ever i do a search on google it comes back with 0 results, i can search for anything even Google itself...
when i search all i get is a page saying About 14,130,000,000 results (0.29 seconds) with normal ads on the side but no search results,
will upload a screen shot to show you,

something i have noticed is that is user specific as in if i log on to guest account i can use Google as normal... weird....
but its effecting both laptops, i have checked host file now and all seems ok, run spy bot and nothing detected,

i ran hijackthis, and found some winsock entries, which i seem to have been able to remove, (did notice hosts file was blocked....) and i think there is a host there that shouldn't be, looked under misc tab in highjackthis...

i have run a few programs myself to try and do a self clean with no luck,
eset online scanner, with advanced settings to scan archives, possible threats, ect,
that came up with win32/toolbar.coduit b variant, which i used adwcleaner to remove,
but its still happening.....

i really am worring its a virus on network, and i use my home network for work purposes so i need to get this sorted asap

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot 2014-01-09 13.55.49.png

Attached Files

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
It's acting like a google search setting has gotten messed up. Go to google and then click on the gear (options) then on Search Settings. Try changing the Results per page slider to a different position then hit the Save button.

lone_wolf1911

lone_wolf1911

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

It's acting like a google search setting has gotten messed up. Go to google and then click on the gear (options) then on Search Settings. Try changing the Results per page slider to a different position then hit the Save button.

hi thanks for reply, much appreciated.
yea tried to do that, its on 10 results per page, upto to 20 and still same thing, i have now run malwarebytes and nothing detected on full scan,
one thing i have noticed,
if i do a search when it gives no search resuts if i then press image search and the go back to web search the search result entries are there, but if i try to go to next page goes back to nothing again and back to page 1
if i then press the safe search option i get results back, then go to next page nothing, turn safe search off and they reappear,
i have uninstaled and reinstalled chrome on both laptops, but how can it only be effecting chrome and ieexplorer and not firefox? could it do that? and on both laptops, really worried i have a network virus but cant seem to pick it up from anything so what the [bleep] am i missing?

Edited by lone_wolf1911, 10 January 2014 - 02:58 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Try pushing the slider to 100.

Does Google know who you are in Firefox? IF Firefox hasn't saved your login to Google info then Google might treat you as it does when you log in as a different user. Can you log out of Google? In Chrome click on the three parallel bars in the top right and select Sign In to Chrome then click Sign Out and Sign In as a Different User. Should be enough to log you out. You don't really have to log in as a different user. Try it now. You can also try incognito mode (CTRL + SHIFT + N )

Then try clearing your Cookies. Three parallel bars, Tools, Clear Browsing Data, Change the window where it says last half hour to the beginning of time.

lone_wolf1911

lone_wolf1911

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
hi, yea goodle did know who i was in firefox, but now its started doing the same thing using that,

logged out on both firefox and chrome, still the same issue, i can click on any of my favourites and go to them no porbs....
i tried my pc upstairs that still has win xp on and it doesn't seem to have been effected.... dont really want to have to do a full format and reinstall but looks like i might have to...

clean all history, temp, cookies, cache, from beginning of time.... still same thing

Edited by lone_wolf1911, 11 January 2014 - 05:13 AM.

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,625 posts
  • MVP
Have you tried creating a new Google identity? Do you get similar results with bing or yahoo? Do you get the same thing in Safe Mode with Networking?

(Reboot and when you see the maker's logo, hear a beep or it talks about F8, start tapping the F8 key slowly. Keep tapping until the Safe Mode Menu appears and choose Safe Mode with Networking. Login with your usual login.)

Copy the next line:

"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore" -extoff http://google.com

Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator, Continue. Right click and Paste or Edit then Paste and the copied line should appear.
Hit Enter. Internet Explorer should open with add-ons disabled. Do you see the same problem?

This one is going to take several hours:

Download aswMBR.exe to your desktop.
Pause your anti-virus
Right click the aswMBR.exe and Run As Admin
Allow it to download the Avast engine.
Change the Quickscan to C:\
Click the "Scan" button to start scan
On completion of the scan (Note if the Fix button is enabled (not the FixMBR button) and tell me) click save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply