Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive failure?

• Please log in to reply

ThatOneLazyGuy

ThatOneLazyGuy

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hello. My laptop has recently been infected by the zero access Rootkit. I have removed with some help, but now there is another problem. The computer is insanely slow running programs. The internet works fairly fast, but programs take a long time to load, and run very slowly.
I think my hard drive may be giving out, but don't know for sure. I have tried to do several different hard drive diagnostics tests, but none of them recognized the drive. Also, when I tried to run disk check, it blue screened at 11%.
My laptop has a hitachi hard drive and is running windows 7. Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:welcome: ThatOneLazyGuy

Can I ask who helped you with the zero access Rootkit removal, it is important that we know if there is any malware infection still present as only the trained staff on the GTG malware removal forums can help you with it`s removal.

ThatOneLazyGuy

ThatOneLazyGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
I got help from the malwarebytes forum from a MrCharlie. He suggested these forums to me because we couldn't get the hard drive diagnostic scans to work

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the update ThatOneLazyGuy :thumbsup:

There may indeed be mechanical issues with the HDD, if so we will be more than happy to help you with this here on the hardware forums if and when it is required, by the very nature of your topic on the Malwarebytes forum and the fact that the work that yourself and MrC were undertaking was not completed I must ask that you bear with me while I ask a senior member of staff to take a look at this, thank you for understanding.

emeraldnzl

emeraldnzl

GeekU Instructor

• GeekU Moderator
  • 20,051 posts
Hello ThatOneLazyGuy,

Really we should run some scans in the Malware Forum to make sure the malware Mr Charlie was helping you with is all gone.

Having said that, Zero Access infections sometimes leave corruption behind that can be relatively easily fixed.

Let's try this:

Please download ESET's Service Repair Tool.

• Save it to your desktop
  • Right click on it an run it as Administrator
If your computer is still having problems after running the Service Repair Tool please open a topic in the Malware section here and PM me with a link. We can then have a deeper look and see if there is any residual malware there. :)

Link to Malware Forum Topic.

Edited by emeraldnzl, 13 January 2014 - 08:06 PM.
included link to Malware topic

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hello again ThatOneLazyGuy

No need to start a new topic as we can continue here now that emeraldnzl has given the computer the all clear of malware :thumbsup:

First of all can I ask if you have backed up all important data on the HDD, this in case it mechanically fails.

Please run Speccy and then post the results url here for us.

ThatOneLazyGuy

ThatOneLazyGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Here is the url
http://speccy.pirifo...iTFbWJJ1oggVwcV
Also, can I have some help backing up the hard drive? And where do i back it up to?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Something is not right here ThatOneLazyGuy :confused:

Your last reply = Posted Today, 12:09 AM which is 26th January 2014, the Speccy url that you have provided shows that the report was generated 23 Jan 2011 @ 18:50 which is not possible as I only requested the url yesterday at 10:39 AM (3 years and 3 days later than the report suggests).

Can you check this for us please and then post a new Speccy url for us.

ThatOneLazyGuy

ThatOneLazyGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Sorry! I accidentally posted the url to the example. Here is the correct one.
http://speccy.pirifo...Gmwi0D6MAWphwzU

KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
For a few minutes I was feeling younger. :lol:

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Sorry! I accidentally posted the url to the example. Here is the correct one.
http://speccy.pirifo...Gmwi0D6MAWphwzU

Nothing out of the ordinary showing in the results and your HDD looks fine.

Lets tidy up the data on your HDD, please follow the directions provided below starting with Autoruns http://technet.micro...ernals/bb963902

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
5: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
6: Attach to your next reply.

http://www.afterdawn..._in_windows.cfm

2nd: Download and run TFC from http://www.geekstogo...ds&showfile=187 your computer should automatically re-boot on completion but if not do it manually.

3rd: Defrag your HDD http://www.auslogics...re/disk-defrag/ a tidy drive is a faster drive, please note that I am not suggesting that you use any other product or service at the link.

4th To speed up your boot times find any unnecessary programs linked to start up "how to" below;

START -> Search -> type in MSCONFIG then press Enter

Click on the start-up TAB

Look at each line that has a check in the box, these are start-up items, with the exception of Windows programs and your AV software uncheck the ones you do not want to run at start-up.

Do the above and then get back to us please.

For a few minutes I was feeling younger. :lol:

:spoton:

ThatOneLazyGuy

ThatOneLazyGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Here is the log and also here is the result of the de-fragmentation, if you need it.
file:///C:/ProgramData/Auslogics/DiskDefrag/4.x/Reports/Disk_Defrag_Report.html

Attached Files

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
No need for the defrag results thanks :thumbsup:

The Autoruns log is not too bad but there are a few things that you should disable (not delete) such as;
Adobe PDF Link Helper
Cyberlink
Java
PCBoosterCMenu (this type of software is a gimmick and can actually corrupt your OS and other important programs).
Did you carry out each step that I suggested.
How is the computer behaving now.

ThatOneLazyGuy

ThatOneLazyGuy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Can you help me disable the programs you mentioned? And the computer has only improved slightly; it is still very slow.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Please refer to the Autoruns tutorial that I linked to earlier which is here

Select the Filter out Microsoft & Windows Results option and then follow the steps in the "To Disable or Delete" section.

I would delete PCBooster but only disable the other entries that I previously mentioned.

The Google updater depends on your personal preference/whether or not you normally go online as soon as the computer is booted up, I personally would disable it.