Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VIrus, Malware, and/or Adware [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Serine

Serine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
ESETSmartInstaller@High as CAB hook log:
OnlineScanner.ocx - registred OK
# version=8
# iexplore.exe=8.00.6001.18702 (longhorn_ie8_rtm(wmbla).090308-0339)
# OnlineScanner.ocx=1.0.0.6920
# api_version=3.0.2
# EOSSerial=7adf47605d59b641aaf265e783c54546
# engine=16859
# end=finished
# remove_checked=false
# archives_checked=true
# unwanted_checked=true
# unsafe_checked=true
# antistealth_checked=true
# utc_time=2014-01-30 04:51:56
# local_time=2014-01-29 11:51:56 (-0500, Eastern Standard Time)
# country="United States"
# lang=1033
# osver=6.0.6001 NT Service Pack 1
# compatibility_mode=5892 16776573 100 100 0 227665044 0 0
# scanned=260002
# found=0
# cleaned=0
# scan_time=8049

Not part of scan:
Currently in quarantine by this program I suppose from another point in time that I have used it are the following files:
C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\8CEFB4323FDEFC030B001678C90BE9E4\enemies-names.txt <--- I have no idea what this file is.
C:\Program Files\PDF Split or Merge\PDF Split or Merge.exe ---> Program I downloaded awhile ago and haven't used in a while.

Advertisements

Serine

Serine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.79
Windows Vista Service Pack 1 x86 (UAC is disabled!)
Out of date service pack!!
Internet Explorer 8 Out of date!
Internet Explorer 8
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Enabled!
avast! Antivirus
Antivirus up to date!
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.75.0.1300
CCleaner
Java 7 Update 45
Java version out of Date!
Adobe Flash Player 11.9.900.170
Adobe Reader 8 Adobe Reader out of Date!
Mozilla Firefox (26.0)
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
system32 OnlineCmdLineScanner.exe -?-
Alwil Software Avast5 AvastSvc.exe
Alwil Software Avast5 AvastUI.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 0 %
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
Hi Serine,

You computer is looking better, but there are still some items that need to be handled and then we'll see if Restore Points can be set.

You need Service Pack 2 for Vista,
Click Start, control panel, Security, Automatic Updates. This will allow the Operating System to perform all necessary update. Allow this to continue until finished. It is possible that several reboots will be necessary.

In the event that Windws Update is not working, you can download the update and manually download and install from here. Windows Vista Service Pack 2. Make sure you disable your Security Software for the duration of the install.

A newer version of Internet Explorer is available from here.

Posted Image
Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system.
Please follow these steps to remove older version of Java components and upgrade the application.

Upgrading Java:

• Go to this site and click Do I have Java
  • It will check your current version and then offer to update to the latest version
If you choose, you can disable Java from your system How to Disable Java in your Web Browser

You Adober Reader is out of date.
You can obtain the latest version of Adobe Reader from here, and the latest version of Flash Player from here.
For more information and links to Adobe updates and downloads click here.

After the new Reader is installed, Open Adobe Reader X.
OK the license.
Click on Edit and select Preferences.
On the Left, click on the Javascript category and Uncheck Enable Acrobat Javascript.
Click on the Security (Enhanced) category and Uncheck Automatically trust sites from my Win OS security zones.
Click on the Trust Manager category and Uncheck Allow opening of non-PDF file attachments with external applications.
Click the OK button.

Also, Make sure that you uninstall old versions of IE, Adobe and Java from your machine.

Finally, reboot the machine and see if you can set a restore point.

Let me know if you can set Restore and how all of the other work turned outl

Serine

Serine

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
Hi,

I am a bit worried about updating to service pack 2 as many people have told me they had problems with it, I'm especially worried since if something goes wrong I can't restore my system to its previous state.

I cannot update internet explorer without service pack 2 so I haven't done that.

I tried to update Java which froze for half an hour while installing setup so I closed it using task manager. However, it showed up in my computer as a new program. I doubt it's fully installed though.

I have also updated my Adobe Reader.

Thanks again for the help and I apologize for the late reply.

Biscuithd

Biscuithd

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,573 posts
Hi Serine

I am a bit worried about updating to service pack 2 as many people have told me they had problems with it, I'm especially worried since if something goes wrong I can't restore my system to its previous state.

In all honesty, your bigger concern is from from not updating to Service Pack 2. This is a posting from Microsoft...

Support for Windows Vista Service Pack 1 (SP1) ends on July 12, 2011. To continue support, make sure you've installed Windows Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2).

Additionally, SP2 has been out for a very long time and any installation problems have been worked out. That said, even if problems do occur, the SP can very easily be backed out. Without SP2 the computer will almost assuredly become infected again. Finally, without SP2, you tie my hands and there's little else I can do to help with your issues. It would be the same with other areas of G2G and with other Helpers. We notice right away. I saw it in your first scan and was just trying to clear enough Malware so that we could do the update.

Let's also try one other check of the OS.

download WVCheck by Artellos from one of the mirrors below;
Artellos.com (exe)
Artellos.com (zip)
After the download, run WVCheck.exe
As indicated by the prompt, This program can take a while depending on your hard drive space.
Once the program is done, copy the contents of the notepad file as a reply.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.