Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Optical drive will not open

• Please log in to reply

Jimmyjames

Jimmyjames

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi there,

I have had a blue ray reader/DVD burner drive for a number of years but this weekend it would not eject. I put a paper clip to open it, blew dust out but it still didn't work. I just get a busy light when I click he eject button. When I right click and go to eject from my computer I just get an error saying drive will not open. I went to device manager where it says drive is working properly. I updated firmware, tried uninstalling drivers and re install but still nothing worked with ejected. I then plugged in sata cable to another port but still no luck. I then purchased a a cheap DVD drive and plugged it in, tried all options above but it still didn't eject. I can't figure out why both drives will not eject? Both have power though? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,974 posts
Hi Jimmy :welcome:

I don't know which Operating System you have but if it's Windows 7 try F8 during boot this will show you a menu and pause Windows from loading, now try the eject button, does it work?

The eject button is pure mechanic and electrical if it doesn't work also on the new drive the only cause I can remember is a bad Power Supply.

Edit: Inside windows eventually some software could prevent/interfere with the eject...

Edited by SleepyDude, 10 January 2014 - 03:51 AM.