Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell laptop freezes constantly [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

Going back to this you mentioned in your first post:-

a diagnose that included an error in the HDD saying "short self test unsuccessful"

This is a possible indication that the actual Hard-Drive is about to fail and would certainly explain why the current problems. So it might be a idea to check this out further and contact the machines vendor since you should still be covered by the manufacturers twelve month warranty.

Advertisements

lruizm

lruizm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi,

Apparently the warranty is only valid for 6 months so it is now expired :(
I reset the computer and it's working better now. I didn't have time to use any programs except a quick internet search, but it appears to be working just fine.
I did download chrome yesterday and just after I did that, it became slow and unresponsive again, so I uninstalled it... I think chrome could have been the problem. I'll try to make some time to use the laptop today.

Thanks!

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
That's a shame re the warranty, use the computer for a few days and let myself know if any problems please.

Regarding Chrome not a particular fan of that browser myself, just make sure IE is upto date via Windows Update(plus download/install all critical updates etc) and consider using say Mozilla Firefox for example.

Also if not aware Windows Defender with W8 is actually a Anti-Virus application(a variation of MSE) so you can keep that as is. :)

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.