Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New network adapter with computer hooked up to power line adapters, in

• Please log in to reply

VampBun

VampBun

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, my boyfriend has a computer that has TP-Link network adapter and powerline adapters. The powerline are because his computer is in a different room and direct connecting is an issue because it would have to travel through the entire house, etc. he hooked this up to his computer and the internet wasnt working. He thought it couldve been his adapter card was failing, so he bought a TP-Link network adapter, brand new, worked for a day with perfect internet, then it went back to shutting off and on.
We do not know what it could be, the light on the adapter says its working just fine, the powerline adapters are working perfectly. I have perfect internet on my directly connecting computer near the modem (which is connected to a router which my comp is directly connected and his is via the powerline adapters) and he has complete crap. We have tried turning things on and off, updating the drivers, etc. is there something we are missing? Any idea how this could be fixed?

Added info: theres 5 (me and him included) in the house, a lot of technology too. Had a moment where one limited his internet, but he unblocked that and it worked fine, we checked to see if the block was back on, but it wasn't. (Using the Ip address to find the limiting and all that).

Thank you.

Edited by VampBun, 11 January 2014 - 02:29 PM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How do you know the Powerline adapters are working perfectly>? Have you tried another computer connected in place of his?

I've used these and they are very finecky. You may have to push the buttons many different times to get them to finally talk to each other. Once you do though, they are great and give excellent band width.

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi VapBun :welcome:

I would like you to get two log's please.

» One in the working computer
Download MiniToolBox and save the file to the Desktop.
Close the browser and run the tool, check the following options:
  • List IP configuration
Click on Go.

Post the resulting log in your next reply.

» Use a flash drive to run MiniToolBox on the computer that does not work

Run the tool, check the following options:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices (Only Problems)
Click on Go.

Post the resulting log in your next reply.