Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

White Screen / High Jacked [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

CME FlooT

CME FlooT

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I think this was a fake FBI scam virus. When I boot up I see my desk top for a sec. Then I get a white screen. If I boot up in safe mode, it will not let me do it with networking. If I do safe mode and type in a command to limit start up programs it will just reboot.

Thanks
Richard

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Hello Richard, :wave: Welcome to the forums!

Why do you think it's a FBI virus? Do you get a screen?
What version of Windows is on the computer?
If you can't get any networking on the sick computer, we will need another computer with a USB drive that we can download files to. Do you have one.

CME FlooT

CME FlooT

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the reply. Its windows xp pro. This is an old laptop 7yrs ? Got this virus 7/8 months ago on it tried safe mode, didn't work so just put it up. But best I think I remember seeing the FBI logo on the screen.
Also directing me to pay money to get it removed.

Thanks
Richard

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

Got this virus 7/8 months ago on it tried safe mode, didn't work so just put it up.

You said in your first post that you could boot into Safe Mode, but you didn't have any networking. Now you are saying that you tried safe mode but it didn't work. Which is it? Can you boot into Safe Mode or not?
Have you tried booting into Safe Mode with Networking?
Is the computer hooked up now?
Does it have any USB ports?

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.